Winter storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David Lynn

Car
CLK 230 Convertable
Putting my 208 cabrio into store for 4 months, any tips?

Ctek trckle charger is a god send for storage. I have one that will be in use over the winter months.

Was planning just to disconnect the battery, isn't that enough?

Disconnecting the battery could upset things like radio codes etc. If you have power in the garage, much better to connect a battery conditioner to the battery - I've been doing that for about 15 years or more for my 968, keeps the battery topped up, enhances battery life and means the car is ready to go any time - in case herself has a whoopsie in her car and I need the cab in the winter!

The leads on my conditioner are so thin (and the battery is in the boot), I can connect up and close the boot without damaging the leads or the boot seal. Not sure if that wokrs with a CLK, but there's probably a second option using the spare +ve connection under the bonnet, with the -ve on some suitable part of the engine or suspension.

I've also seen suggestions of pumping the tyres up to maximum (40+psi) to reduce the risk of "flat spotting" them, although I have never done that myself.

Depriving the car battery of charge for 4 months will probably kill it.
Depriving the car alarm of a power supply, to keep its back up batteries toped up, will also cause problems and the alarm may start to trigger and sound off, powered by its own backup batteries.

Test your car alarm to see if its still in working order, See… http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/169666-w202-how-test-car-alarm.html

Dec

Thanks everybody, trickle charger ordered and will do as advised:thumb:

Concur:
Ctec and raise the wheels. Leave the boot ajar also to get rid of any moisture/damp in the car.

What about the soft top, down, up or just with the latch off

Just use it?

If you must, then soft top up or just cracked loose, deffo not down as it will get mouldy in the creases I bet.

I wouldnt start and idle - engines dont like it. Might suggest a small desk fan to keep air moving around to prevent damp if its in a cold garage.

A few years ago I had my 968 coupe parked up for 10 weeks while I was in west Africa - just the battery conditioner, nothing done to the wheels/tyres, not started for the entire time (and possibly up to a week either side of my 10 weeks away). Had no problems at all when I finally started her - just a slight hesitation from the tip gearbox while fluid got back into the appropriate places,but that was only to initially move her, once she was moving everything was fine.

If your garage is well ventilated you've got no worries but if it is your typical unheated drafty box - crack the hood to let air circulate.
Don't forget to insure the car whilst stored in case it goes up in smoke!
Also - sorn the car too!

I wouldnt start and idle - engines dont like it. Might suggest a small desk fan to keep air moving around to prevent damp if its in a cold garage.

I recently had a conversation with a mobilo guy who said that it was perfectly fine to start the car and let it tick over for 30mins or so once a week or two.

If your garage is well ventilated you've got no worries but if it is your typical unheated drafty box - crack the hood to let air circulate.
Don't forget to insure the car whilst stored in case it goes up in smoke!
Also - sorn the car too!

Isn't the definition of a well ventilated garage a drafty unheated box?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom