Winter storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SLSWE

Car
2012 C63 487hk & 2003 V70 2.4T
Hi all,

One week ago I put my 2011 C63 with 60K KM into winter sleep for approximately 4 months. The garage temperature is about 20C however with no access to electricity so there would not be any maintenance charging. I've pumped up the tires to 3.1 bars and almost filled car up with 98 octane without adding any fuel additives.

I have not yet decided if I should start up the car once a week/every other week and let it idle until 80-90 degree engine temperature and maybe drive around in the garage to have the fluids moving in the tranny etc. It seems to be two camps on the winter start up, some say do and some say don't. I think Tasos mentioned it is good to start up the car once a while (maybe he said week) as the oil disappears on engine parts however I am worrying about drain the battery, but I rather drain the battery than potentially damage the engine of not starting it up. But then the other camp say the start ups would damage more :wallbash:

What's your take on this?

Adding a picture of the cleaned beast before the sleep :)
image0 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Personally I would avoid starting the engine unless you can take it for a long drive to get the car and all fluids up to temperature.

If it will just sit stationary at idle engine speed - or moving short distances - then it will perhaps cause more harm than good.

1. Starting the engine will take power from the battery and will need to idle for a long time to recharge the battery.

2. Cold starts aren’t good for the engine, especially the top-end, and idling (with no load) extends that risk period.

3. Unless you get the engine and fluids up to full operating temperature for a fair time then there’s the risk of condensation build-up.

To get engine oil up to temperature when stationary it will take a very very very long time, nevermind transmission fluid.

Personally I would just take it for a proper drive - say 50 miles or an hour - every 6 weeks (+/- 2 weeks) when weather is best.

Mine is hibernating as well, it’s on a battery optimiser but I still start it up every few weeks - only because previous years I left it alone and when it had its first start there was a tappet ticking for a wee while.

So now I start and run for a while and when it comes back out in April I change the oil and filter.

Don't just start it up for a few minutes, that's very abrasive. Just pump the tyres, make sure all elecrtics like interior lights are off. Get a high quality trickle charger for your battery. Make sure coolant is at the correct strength.

Hi all,

however with no access to electricity so there would not be any maintenance charging.

Is there no way of fitting an external solar charger to keep the battery topped up ?

K

Is there no way of fitting an external solar charger to keep the battery topped up ?

K
Get an old dog battery fully charged and put in car. Lock it up and bring your good battery into the house to keep warm and top up occasionally and gently.

Mines also away for winter in its airchamber on a trikle charger will probably bring it out twice weather permitting for a good run, apart from its service next week

Personally speaking, I think life is too short to not drive your favourite car everyday.
But you parker’s may have a better car you like more for the winter.
Sadly I can only afford one fave car.
I agree. I’ve owned a ‘86 911 for 20 years and it’s only covered 20k in that time - mostly in the first few years. I’ve had more trouble from it not being used. Batteries need replacing, seized brakes, and non-start issues. So I now use my SL55 year round so long as there’s no salt on the roads.

The manuals for both the Porsche and the MB recommend not letting it sit idling from cold / so that’s where I would look. The biggest problem is fuel washing the cylinders I believe.

Just take it for a 30 mins drive occasionally.

+1 for a solar charger, no idea if they are any good but should help if no electricity available. Remember to set the panel up outside in the sun lol
kc

Personally speaking, I think life is too short to not drive your favourite car everyday.
Agreed, cars are designed and built for driving - if we don’t use them then we’re denying them their reason for being!!

I believe that 1960s Ferraris can stay in storage over winter, but modern Mercedes should get used all year round.

Every modern car I’ve not used much (built from say from the 1990s onwards) really don’t like sitting around.

I agree. I’ve owned a ‘86 911 for 20 years and it’s only covered 20k in that time - mostly in the first few years. I’ve had more trouble from it not being used. Batteries need replacing, seized brakes, and non-start issues. So I now use my SL55 year round so long as there’s no salt on the roads.

The manuals for both the Porsche and the MB recommend not letting it sit idling from cold / so that’s where I would look. The biggest problem is fuel washing the cylinders I believe.

Just take it for a 30 mins drive occasionally.
I agree with you but as you say as long as no salt on the roads ie winter? To let a car idle is a no no ,porche are abit different from my experience I was advised by porche not to buy a low mileage 1

I guess in Scandinavia you wouldn't want to take the C63 out on the ice and salt. In which case, hook it up to a trickle charger and don't start it. Everyone whose advice I respect has told me not to let a car in storage idle and then switch off. Neither is as good as driving it for 20+ miles, but the least bad option is to just leave it, and take it out properly in spring,

Very nice car, dead ringer for mine outside, except for the calliper colour!

I guess in Scandinavia you wouldn't want to take the C63 out on the ice and salt. In which case, hook it up to a trickle charger and don't start it. Everyone whose advice I respect has told me not to let a car in storage idle and then switch off. Neither is as good as driving it for 20+ miles, but the least bad option is to just leave it, and take it out properly in spring,

Very nice car, dead ringer for mine outside, except for the calliper colour!
Thanks for the nice comments!
I'll let the car sit until the spring and a few weeks before start up I'll measure the battery to see if I would need to bring the battery inside for charging.

It's the first time I ever had a nice car for winter storage and I find myself watching as many YT clips on C63 as I did when I did my research just to hear roar hehe. This weekend I'm planning of going to the garage and try out some new interior detailing things I picked up during black Friday, been waiting all week :)

I agree with you but as you say as long as no salt on the roads ie winter? To let a car idle is a no no ,porche are abit different from my experience I was advised by porche not to buy a low mileage 1
Yeah, we’re in December now and there’s not been too many days when there’s been salt on the roads in Kent so the SL is still getting used - I’m sitting here thinking I might even take it to one of those drive in cash wash places!

The gritter has been out quite abit up here so mine is away, I'll use the Volvo for winter 😁

I love my E63 & used it daily for 2 years but as i want to keep mileage sensible i have a Mini Cooper D & i swap between them weekly or so (weather denpendant) the Mini is so cheap to run it's almost cheaper than running the E63 24/7 & maybe cheaper than stoarage..

Love my e63s and I couldn't imagine locking it up in the garage. I bought it from new June 2020 and it got 14k miles on the clock ... I totally aim to get to 100k on that one lol ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom