Winter - Stuff the tyres, what about the wheels? :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Burger

Car
2007 SL (R230)
Having married a German lady (quite some time ago) and therefore having travelled to Germany and back many many times, I've understood the benefit of winter tyres for some time. Seeing how they're finally catching on here is interesting :)

In Germany and many other mainland European countries the drivers usually have a second set of wheels, usually cheap steel wheels, fitted with their winter tyres. This serves a number of purposes including it being much easier to swap tyres at the appropriate times, it can even be done at home of course and it prevents expensive pristine alloys from being damaged by salt and grit.

So... do such things exist for our cars? Cheap steel wheels?

Regards,

steel wheels won't be big enough or light enough for AMGs

Ive got steels on my 3 series. Steels were also available from the dealer for the W204 in 16" but the price difference between steel and alloys was only about £60 for the 4.

I prefer steel wheels in this weather.

]

So... do such things exist for our cars? Cheap steel wheels?

If the entry level model of your car comes equipped with steels, then there should be no problem. Typically a steel wheel new from a Mercedes dealer is £30-40.

If not, then a bit of homework regarding dimensions (eg.offsets, stud PCD, etc) and getting something appropriate from a breaker should be possible.
Once identified, the word would soon get around as to what fits what.
Looking for the smallest diameter wheel fitted to your model may broaden tyre choice also.

Just takes effort...

Steels won't fit my front brake calipers, so I bought a nicely refurbished set of alloys from Nick Froome at a decent price. This means should I kerb one or two, I can get them sorted at my convenience as a result of having 4 extra spares.

]If the entry level model of your car comes equipped with steels, then there should be no problem. Typically a steel wheel new from a Mercedes dealer is £30-40.

If not, then a bit of homework regarding dimensions (eg.offsets, stud PCD, etc) and getting something appropriate from a breaker should be possible.
Once identified, the word would soon get around as to what fits what.
Looking for the smallest diameter wheel fitted to your model may broaden tyre choice also.

Just takes effort...

The question wasn't just intended for my benefit, so yes, of course it takes effort to find something out, a lot from one person or a little from many... One reasons forums are so powerful and often can get the question to the people who already know :)

Apart from the fact they're round, wheels are a bit of a mystery to me. For my own car I don't believe R230's ever came with steel wheels (better not at that price).

Where is a good place to go to find out about the offsets, PCD's etc.? Is there a good source for this?

Is there such a thing as cheap alloys if steel wheels aren't available? I guess some second hand ones would be as good. It seems to me driving in winter safely is more about function than form.

Regards,

steel wheels won't be big enough or light enough for AMGs

While I agree that steelies wont probably fit the AMG calipers... they do tend to be lighter than their alloy counterparts.

Alloy rims nowadays are made for looks, not for weight... and as such, tend to weigh a lot more than their plainer steel counterparts...

M.

Apart from the fact they're round, wheels are a bit of a mystery to me. For my own car I don't believe R230's ever came with steel wheels (better not at that price).

Where is a good place to go to find out about the offsets, PCD's etc.? Is there a good source for this?

Is there such a thing as cheap alloys if steel wheels aren't available? I guess some second hand ones would be as good. It seems to me driving in winter safely is more about function than form.

Regards,

Possibly the saloon equivalent did though? (Same hubs, brakes, etc).

Google offsets - there will be some basics to be found.
Two ways to go. Find out (if possible) the relevant offsets as ET numbers and match. Or buy a cheapo plastic vernier gauge - a couple of quid from your local auto store - and whip of a wheel and have a measure up. Then off to the breakers to find something appropriate in steel (or tatty alloy!). Offer up and if clearance OK, you're on your way.
The front will be more critical as the brake will be larger and and clearance on lock (track rod ends, anti roll bar, etc) will need to be carefully observed.

Is there anyone from this forum close to you that has a stock of wheels for you to offer up as trial fits?
Might be worth checking if any other cars use same PCD (bolt pattern) as MB as choice will broaden.

It's cold out there for all of this, but at least you'll know for next year!
Hopefully though, someone is going to come along soon and tell you what will fit your car.

Possibly the saloon equivalent did though? (Same hubs, brakes, etc).

What is the saloon equivalent of an SL?

Thanks,

The question wasn't just intended for my benefit, so yes, of course it takes effort to find something out, a lot from one person or a little from many... One reasons forums are so powerful and often can get the question to the people who already know :)

Regards,

Burger

Try this

Alloy Wheels Direct Ltd | Fitting Chart Index

I've got a set of alloys with winter tyres on order from here. Can't recommend them enough. I ordered mine with a specific tyre which they couldn't get hold of so they looked at the ADAC winter tyre tests and ordered the group winners without any on costs to me even though they were more expensive. :thumb:

What is the saloon equivalent of an SL?

Thanks,

Don't know about the more modern ones but the earlier ones had a saloon counterpart (W123 for the R107?) Compare the front suspension and brakes to saloons from around the same time period. If there is commonality it will become obvious.

Someone here should know - one way or the other.

Just occured to me - compare track dimensions.

for the price of a spare set of wheels and winter tyres for the SL you could buy a w124 that will come with steel wheels as standard - and nice cheap 15 inch tyres. Then the whole of the SL can stay away from the salt not just the alloys :)

for the price of a spare set of wheels and winter tyres for the SL you could buy a w124 that will come with steel wheels as standard - and nice cheap 15 inch tyres. Then the whole of the SL can stay away from the salt not just the alloys :)

w124 would still need maintenance, insurance, road tax.....and winter tyres :crazy:

''The R129 was based on the shortened floorpan of the Mercedes-Benz W124'' says Wiki.
But nothing about the origins of the R230.

''The R129 was based on the shortened floorpan of the Mercedes-Benz W124'' says Wiki.
But nothing about the origins of the R230.

I believe the SL (R230) to be pure bred. No contamination of the blood line. :)

I believe the SL (R230) to be pure bred. No contamination of the blood line. :)
IIRC the R230 takes the same wheels as the "normal" saloons and coupes such as the 170, 202, 203, 208, 210 etc but has the same tyre size as the "flagship" models 140, 215 and 220.

Thanks for all the info folks... I'm off doing research :)

w124 would still need maintenance, insurance, road tax.....and winter tyres :crazy:

true but it will not be a lot of £££; and the tyres are 195/65/15 and T rated for winter tyres - £65 each for Michelin Alpins before the mad rush in November.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom