Winter & Summer Modes on E55 Gearbox?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55.AMG

Hi all,

Is there a such thing as winter and summer mode on W210 E55's?

What would be the outcome of driving with it in summer mode, in the winter?

Thanks

It will undoubtedly have a W/S switch.

The outcome of driving in standard mode during winter is potentially (increased? ;) ) loss of traction when setting off in icy conditions.

W mode utilises a different reverse gear and either a different 1st gear or simply 2nd gear when in drive for a smoother takeoff.

This was discussed in another thread. Basically Winter mode will start the car in "2nd gear" but is "pointless" when not in extreme conditions

Cheers Shude, ibrar, it's just that I'm going to see one that the owner said was left in summer mode (in the winter) and it wouldn't shift gears properly, but he put it in winter, and it was fine again?

According to the seller, the modes are more to do with the 'box taking longer to warm up in summer mode, in the summer no less!

Cheers Shude, ibrar, it's just that I'm going to see one that the owner said was left in summer mode (in the winter) and it wouldn't shift gears properly, but he put it in winter, and it was fine again?

According to the seller, the modes are more to do with the 'box taking longer to warm up in summer mode, in the summer no less!
be careful as this may cost a lot to put right if it goes completely regards jon ps , ibrar and shude are correct with the s and w mode description

hmmmmmmm. never heard of it put that wa before? :confused:

Have u bought the car yet? I would check it thoroughly before you purchase it and see if you can knock of £££s of the price!

that sounds like a speed sensor gone if so it will cost you about £600 mine went also

It will undoubtedly have a W/S switch.

The outcome of driving in standard mode during winter is potentially (increased? ;) ) loss of traction when setting off in icy conditions.

W mode utilises a different reverse gear and either a different 1st gear or simply 2nd gear when in drive for a smoother takeoff.

'ey up - t'lad's back ;)

:D :D :D

I use W mode for smoother driving most days, and S if i want to pull off quickly (or use the kickdown to 1st in W)

Driving in W(inter) mode is not recommended for long periods as it causes premature wear. S(tandard) mode should be more than adequate or you may benefit from a throttle body reset.

Hmmmmm :eek:

I haven't bought the car yet, but the owner has said that it was a really cold morning a month ago, and "it wouldn't shift gears" he called his mechanic (Merc technician) and was told to put it in winter mode, then all was fine?

It's got about 80k on the clock, full MB history, gearbox fluid has also been changed recently.

I haven't bought the car yet, but the owner has said that it was a really cold morning a month ago, and "it wouldn't shift gears" he called his mechanic (Merc technician) and was told to put it in winter mode, then all was fine?

It's got about 80k on the clock, full MB history, gearbox fluid has also been changed recently.
??????????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: walk a way if i was you, unless you can get it for peanuts, it sound like it will cost a lot to put right (IMO) regards jon

It's possible it's a simple fault (ATF temp sensor for example) but the only way to know is to get the fault codes read from the gearbox. Don't touch it without as there are other known issues with 722.6 transmissions.

Well it's not too far away so I may still go and see it, any advice on thoroughly checking the 'box? Any tests etc?

According to the seller it drives perfectly now though?

I may be able to get it sub 6k? Worse case scenario, how much would a replacement gearbox be, fitted?

Well it's not too far away so I may still go and see it, any advice on thoroughly checking the 'box? Any tests etc?

According to the seller it drives perfectly now though?

I may be able to get it sub 6k? Worse case scenario, how much would a replacement gearbox be, fitted?
not sure but dont forget its an E55

i bought a car before xmass i had it two days 27000 miles on it at the time the garage said it was a fuse thing its still getting fixed speed sensor gone,rear sam unit gone, blower motor gone the warrenty people wont pay so now the garrage is. make sure every thing works and pay some one to look at the car for you.

TRUST NO ONE WHEN THEY HAVE YOUR MONEY ITS OVER

REMEMBER; my car cost £75000 new and it will cost just as much to buy the parts to fix it! but i know that!!!

Last edited:
Actually this might not be as scary as it sounds. On cold days my car can be super-responsive and reluctant to shift up through the gears in the first minutes from start. In fact, my car tends to only shift as far up as 4th gear until the engine temp needle hits exactly 80 degrees, then it shifts into 5th.

Using W mode will reduce this effect because the gearbox shifts earlier for smoothness when driving in wintery conditions. If you think about it, the last thing you want on an icy road is harsh gear changes and high rpms.

Last edited:
Thanks all, some sound advice given by all!

Well, there's only one way to find and that's to go and see it!

I may be going this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom