Winter time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scottishman2

Car
CLK AMG 55 Cab
being a newbie - and never having had a RWD vehicle with so much grunt - I have been browsing the forums re winter tyres. Makes interesting, and confusing reading - and at times amusing. Amazing how some people appear to think it an affront on their driving skills to use something that will probably make their driving easier and safer - for them and for others.

nevertheless - can someone tell me if I can put thinner (winter) tyres and wheels on my car to make it more "manageable" in winter conditions - I really don't mind if it detracts from its appearance... it would look even sillier in a ditch.

RWD cars are useless in snow. Winter tyres would be a very wise investment. With the urge available from the AMG engine they will be of use on cold damp roads as well. Below 7 degrees winter tyres surpass the abilities of summer tyres, even on dry roads.

nevertheless - can someone tell me if I can put thinner (winter) tyres and wheels on my car to make it more "manageable" in winter conditions - I really don't mind if it detracts from its appearance... it would look even sillier in a ditch.

Yes, take a look in your handbook. Mine recomends 225 winter tyres on the rear rather than the standard 245 tyres - narrower is better in snow, although there's a balance because there's not always snow. Appearance wise it's not really noticeable - the tyre just looks a little stretched (Euro-style).

I ran 225 winter tyres on my standard 8.5j rear wheels, but have today had the transferred to a new set which are 7.5j all round which is ideal. It's lost the Euro-style stretched look, but it's noticeable now it's on the 7.5j wheel - not just because the wheel is 1-inch wider, but more to do with the relatively shallower "dish" on the wheel and change of offset.

If we don't have snow you'll wonder why you bought them. If we do have snow you'll be smiling smugly as you pass just about everything else on the road, assuming they've not blocked it. Even in a powerful RWD with wide-ish tyres and an autobox. They're that good. :thumb:

Yes, take a look in your handbook. Mine recomends 225 winter tyres on the rear rather than the standard 245 tyres - narrower is better in snow, although there's a balance because there's not always snow. Appearance wise it's not really noticeable - the tyre just looks a little stretched (Euro-style).

I ran 225 winter tyres on my standard 8.5j rear wheels, but have today had the transferred to a new set which are 7.5j all round which is ideal. It's lost the Euro-style stretched look, but it's noticeable now it's on the 7.5j wheel - not just because the wheel is 1-inch wider, but more to do with the relatively shallower "dish" on the wheel and change of offset.

If we don't have snow you'll wonder why you bought them. If we do have snow you'll be smiling smugly as you pass just about everything else on the road, assuming they've not blocked it. Even in a powerful RWD with wide-ish tyres and an autobox. They're that good. :thumb:

Many thanks Bobby...:)

If I was going to buy a set for winter would it be best to buy a set of rims fir the job as well?
Looking for use rather than style what options can you go for?

If I was going to buy a set for winter would it be best to buy a set of rims fir the job as well?

If you have the winter tyres mounted on a second set of wheels it means you can swap them over yourself if you feel so inclined, rather than depend upon a tyre fitter - you also avoid paying to fit twice a year. That said you have to fork out for the wheel so it's horses for courses.

Looking for use rather than style what options can you go for?

MB dealers are offering winter tyre sets complete with wheels but they're pricey. eBay is probably your best bet and just get something similar to what you already have fitted to the car.

One tip though, if you wait until winter sod's law says the second set of wheels you scour ebay for will be evasive, and when you find them more expensive. Best buy winter tyres and wheels in summer when demand is low and supply is relatively plentiful.

Steel wheels may be an option, but remember to get the right wheel bolts for them as they'll likely be different to what you have now if you currently have alloys.

I put Winter tyres (Nordica Matadors) on the steel rims of my runabout Nissan Micra last November, on a heavy snow day by chance. The difference was amazing, since this car has to be used daily. At the end of March I bought some cheap alloys and refitted the summer tyres. The car drives safe in winter and looks good in summer. I won't bother with the Merc because I won't use it in adverse conditions.
Do remember that they are not just good in snow, but also low temperatures, being more flexible, I could use them all year but already had summer tyres.
I reckon my Micra on its winter tyres would out-perform any 4wd on summer tyres.
Loads of videos and info on YouTube etc.
So, as East Europeans do, ideally have two sets of wheels & tyres, Mytyres.co.uk has offers of complete sets.
If you must use your MB in all winter conditions, winter boots are really required, even if you just feel a bit smug as you drive where others slip and slide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom