Winter tires - used from Germany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swany500

Car
A207 Cabriolet
I've just pulled trigger on used MB 17" wheel & winter tire set (with TPMS) from Germany style A2074012302 for wifes A207 for EUR 700 delivered to UK (found on ebay). There were some slightly cheaper but the age/DOT on tires and condition were good. Some sets in UK have tires with quite old DOT (2011 etc).

There are also a few AMG 18" sets advertised but these are £1-1.5K plus delivery and for a few quid more your touching new prices from Alloywheel direct. One of reasons I went for 17" is price (or value for money) but also ability to rotate as set up not staggered (7.5J front & rear axle).

One thing I wanted to ask is whether MB tires tend to ware out front or rear first (normal driving, correct pressures, etc.).

Rear wheel drive usually suggests that the rear tyres will wear first.

The rate of wear is more governed by the weight of shoes rather than tyre pressures but regular checking will aid longevity

As suggested, rears will wear more quickly on a RWD car. Given that you’ve asked, then I assume that they’re not staggered wheels/tyres, ie wider at the rear than at the front.

As suggested, rears will wear more quickly on a RWD car. Given that you’ve asked, then I assume that they’re not staggered wheels/tyres, ie wider at the rear than at the front.

Taken from info on the cars digital handbook on screen:
MB guide for winter set up on A207 is (C207 allows for 16" set up)
7,5 J x 17 ET 45 (front & rear)
or
8 J x 18 ET 45 (front & rear)
Summer wheel set up is staggered 8J front 8.5J rear. So looks like some have put winter tires on summer staggered wheels.

OK on rear ware first, just wasn't sure if rear (potential spin) ware or front due to engine weight etc first. That said the set Ive purchased tires all 6mm Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D MO
so will run them this winter and review tread see how it goes in April.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom