Winter tyre size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjbarnard

I've learnt a lot about tyres and wheels in the last few weeks from researching suitable winter tyres and rims here!

Wheels and tyre make now sorted.

On my new rims I will be able to fit either 225, 235 or 245 tyres (obviously in different profiles).

What comments? I understand 225/50 will be best for snow etc, but given that I will be driving November to March in these, and since I understand from the forum that replacing with any winter tyres is probably more important than making it the narrowest tallest tyre possible.

If it were you - which would you go for? I am inclined to 225's, unless there is significant difference compared to 235's in above 7 degrees or other reason.

I'm also looking at winter tyres and new rims. If you don't mind me asking which tyre/wheel combo have you opted for and what swung it for you?

Cheers,

I'm also looking at winter tyres and new rims. If you don't mind me asking which tyre/wheel combo have you opted for and what swung it for you?

Cheers,

If you are asking me??? I have a much older car with narrower rims and 195/65R15 aspect ratio tyres so I am at an advantage for a start. I have run winter/all weather tyres on the rear of my car for years to great effect.
I have found Vredestein, Nokian and Michelin to be all good manufacturers of cold weather/winter tyres with noticeably improved traction and stability in slush,snow and ice.

The table on
http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/equivalency-tables-advice.html is useful. The recommended sizes are 235-245 and the minimum is 225, maximum 255.

But this isnt really about which tyre make. I decided on Vredestein wintrac xtreme's and they are available in the different sizes I could choose.

Tagnut - it's a bit of a minefield! Chris Murray from alloywheelsdirect is very helpful and useful. I won a bid on ebay for a set of replica alloys, but the offset were different and I couldnt get a clear answer on how important this was (even using the table on alloywheelsdirect). Further when I queried the seller on bolt lengths, it became clear that it was a bit of a lottery, and I could make a serious mistake, as well as potential quality issues. Luckily I was able to cancel the purchase.

So I went with Mercedes alloys. My choice was (perhaps 16, not sure because conflicting advice for my model), 17 or 18 inch. Existing tyres are (W211 Sports model) 265/35 and 245/40 on 18 inch. I decided to go with 17 inch because of higher profile tyres for winter conditions.

I chose 17 inch 8.5 wide 38 offset original mercedes alloys from alloywheels direct.com because they are original and exactly my size. I also checked that the Vredesteins I preferred were available from mytyres in the sizes that would fit this width.

I decided to go with Vredesteins because (like many other makes) there are countless recommendations for them and I could source them in several different sizes/profiles which would all fit my wheels.

Hope that makes sense!

Last edited:
mercedes are bringing out a winter tire which comes on a steel wheel in the next few weeks and will be availiable across the entire merc/smart range so my dealer tells me as i enquired just the other day. i will post when i have more info>

thanks

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom