Winter Tyres 225 55 R16 - What to go for performance rating or brand?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stocho

Hi

I normally would hesitate to put 2nd class brand tyres on such as Avon on my car. Howerver looking for Winter tyres on Winter - Snow - Cold Weather - Car/MPV Tyres - 16" R16" - 225/55/16, 225/55R16 I could not escape noticing that Avon are better rated then Michelins or Continentals:

Avon Tyres / Winter Snow Car / Avon Ice Touring ST - 225/55 R16 99V XL TL
(Fuel Eff.: E Wet Grip: B NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 70dB)

Continental Tyres / Winter Snow Car / Continental ContiWinterContact TS830P Continental Conti Winter Contact TS 830P - 225/55 R16 95H (AO) TL
(Fuel Eff.: E Wet Grip: C NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 72dB)

Michelin Tyres / Winter Snow Car / Michelin A4 Alpin Michelin A 4 - 225/55 R16 99V XL TL
(Fuel Eff.: C Wet Grip: C NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 70dB)

Dunlop Tyres / Winter Snow Car / Dunlop WinterSport 3D SP Dunlop Winter Sport 3D - 225/55 R16 99V XL MFS TL
(Fuel Eff.: F Wet Grip: E NoiseClass: 1 Noise: 68dB)

So based on performance ratings it looks like Avon is the best tyre and Dunlop is utter rubbish. Is it really the case? Would you go for Avon instead of Michelin / Continental?

When talking about winter tyres; ratings does not tell anything about grip in ice/snow... :dk:

When talking about winter tyres; ratings does not tell anything about grip in ice/snow... :dk:

Well, in the UK more then 50% of winter would be expected to be not icy and snowy - even if temperature is below 0 - salt on motorways usually means no ice. So Wet performance is important.

Also if manufacturer produces a product one of the safety ratings of which is extremely poor (see Dunlop performance rating above!) then it just completely destroys confidence in manufacturer - unless of cause these ratings are actually totally flawed in some way.

So what I need is advice whether these performance ratings are reliable figures (in which case it is worthwhile to consider Avon and treat Dunlop like 3rd grade no-no-brand) or are they just what manufacturers put on at will?

What sort of tyres are members putting (225 55 R16) ?

You're buying winter tyres for their snow and ice performance. I have the Conti TS830P's (225/55 R16) on my W212 and they're every bit as good as the winter tyre tests suggest. I have no hesitation in recommending them.

I just noticed that you've referenced the AO (Audi fitment) version of the Conti's. Be aware that the MO variant may perform differently.

Last edited:
2012 Auto Bild Top 15 Winter Tyre Test | the online tyre guide

Somewhat unsurprisingly the winner of this group test was the new Continental Winter Contact TS850, as it continued its flawless run in the magazine group tests. Praised for a flawless winter performance, strong in the wet and combined with low rolling resistance it was the clear winner, with only its cost counting against it.

You can usually drop down one speed rating from normal on a winter tyre e.g. V to H but if you intend to use them all year round I would be inclined to stick as close to the original summer tyre speed rating if possible. Winter tyres are inevitably slightly noisier than summer tyres due to their tread pattern but not noticeably so. They will all have better wet road performance too due they all possess more open treads for shifting water. Far better to go by German Tyre reviews than any nominal manufacturer rating since winter tyres are virtually compulsory in Germany and thus there is a much greater interest in their performance there--- we are just beginning to catch up. The top names such as
Michelin and Continental always make good product but mid range manufacturers such as Nokian and Vredestein are also very good as are Dunlop and Goodyear. As has been said read the reviews - in particular for the tyre size/Speed rating you want if possible as tyre tread pattern can change as the size/ speed rating increases !

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Using the above link I actually found a review for my specific size 225 55 R16. 2009 AMS summer and winter tyre test part2 | the online tyre guide

So the winner for this size is Continental Winter Contact TS 830 (Though Avon was not included ... ).

This tyre is available in MO option. What is the difference between generic tyre and Mercedes specific MO option?
Continental Tyres / Winter Snow Car / Continental ContiWinterContact TS830P Continental Conti Winter Contact TS 830P - 225/55 R16 95H (MO) TL Fuel Eff.: E Wet Grip: C NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 72dB £101.00 Winter - Snow - Cold Weather - Car/MPV Tyres - 16

Also is it OK to go for 95H or should I try to find 99V (which is not available on Camskill website? Does speed rating of H mean that it (as far as the ryre is concerned) can be driven reliably and consistently at 130mph or does it actually mean that it is absolutely maximal speed for the tyre which should not really be approached?

Is load rating of 95 sufficient for 320CDI estate with occasional heavy load?

No idea about the essential difference between MO and normal - I have only ever run the normal 830s, fine to me.

Don't bother finding a V - they will be more expensive, and unless you actually will drive at 130mph or above in the winter, it is pointless. Tyre rating is the maximum speed it is rated for - frankly if you intend to drive at 130mph with any frequency I would get higher rated tyres, but for winter driving in the UK it is more than sufficient to use H rated ones.

Check the load rating for your car in the manual. You should not go below that.

You're buying winter tyres for their snow and ice performance. I have the Conti TS830P's (225/55 R16) on my W212 and they're every bit as good as the winter tyre tests suggest. I have no hesitation in recommending them.

I just noticed that you've referenced the AO (Audi fitment) version of the Conti's. Be aware that the MO variant may perform differently.

Not according to the British Tyre Manufactures' Association...

"Examples are possible where one could deviate from those marked and others where that
is not recommended –

e.g. 1) MO marking for Mercedes. It is possible to fit non-MO marked (and could use MO marked for
another vehicle)

2) N-marked tyres for Porsche. Due to the particular characteristics of their vehicles, Porsches must
take the correct N-marked fitments. It is also recommended that N-marked tyres are not used on any
other vehicles.

Others versions exist in the main for performance/prestigious vehicles such as Porsche, Chrysler, Ferrari,
Mercedes AMG, Audi, Bentley, BMW and others

I currently have W210 saloon. Winter tyres will last several years so buying with a view of using with W211 E320CDI that will probably replace the current car in 1-2 years. So I do not have a manual to refer to.

I had Avon winters on my BMW and they were very very good. I have Dunlop on my c class and they don't appear as grippy as the Avons on ice and cold temperatures.

Just my personal experience.

Don't bother finding a V - they will be more expensive, and unless you actually will drive at 130mph or above in the winter, it is pointless. Tyre rating is the maximum speed it is rated for - frankly if you intend to drive at 130mph with any frequency I would get higher rated tyres, but for winter driving in the UK it is more than sufficient to use H rated ones.

In reality I agree Charles, but as in most things 'insurance wise', anyone following this advice may well lose out on a technicality come a potential insurance payout.

Performance rating is not just to do with 'Top Speed' but all round performance even though manufactures just use Speed ratings for differentiation purposes.

You have a smash with a potential big payout and are found liable and running on tyres with a lesser performance rating on than recommended then you may be left high & dry by your insurance company. :eek:

Just sayin' like! :thumb:

In reality I agree Charles, but as in most things 'insurance wise', anyone following this advice may well lose out on a technicality come a potential insurance payout.
Which is why you should always check what the manufacturer's recommended speed rating for the tyres is.

For example, my E350CDI is a 155mph car and the summer tyres are W-rated. However, for winter fitment the handbook says H-rated tyres are fine (you can of course invoke the winter speed limiter feature through the cluster, too). An insurance company would find it hard to wriggle out of a claim when you've fitted tyres that meet the manufacturer's recommended spec.

I've got the dunlops on both of my cars right now and well happy with them. Cut through standing water really well, and on the merc in snow last year the car ran rings round 4x4's. I'm sure whatever you get will be fine. Make sure you get a 'set' they have rotation arrows on thd sidewalls.

Which is why you should always check what the manufacturer's recommended speed rating for the tyres is.

For example, my E350CDI is a 155mph car and the summer tyres are W-rated. However, for winter fitment the handbook says H-rated tyres are fine (you can of course invoke the winter speed limiter feature through the cluster, too). An insurance company would find it hard to wriggle out of a claim when you've fitted tyres that meet the manufacturer's recommended spec.

Correct. My handbook says 93H M+S for winter tyres, ditto the one for the 211. Even the E55AMG says H for winters.

No insurance company would have an earthly chance of witholding a claim if your car follows manufacturer specifications to the letter - if you were driving within the speed rating of the tyre.

I've noticed that the later cars, despite having the same top speeds have higher recommendations.

Charles states that in his book it lists H rating for an E55K

In my book it lists a V rating for an E63 and also my 320 Sport which runs the same size wheel & tyre combo as the AMG.

In reality though the winter tyres I have on are speed rated at W which is up to 186 mph simply because the manufacturer don't make em in lower rated specs in that size.

Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme's BTW

I've noticed that the later cars, despite having the same top speeds have higher recommendations.

Charles states that in his book it lists H rating for an E55K

High speed rated winter tyres were not widely available years ago, the majority were only H rated or below. It is only in the last few years that higher speed rated tyres have become the norm, hence the changing advice in car manuals.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom