Winter tyres a legitimate business expense?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gr4z

Car
C350 CDI Sport Saloon 2011
Chaps
Just about to order some winter tyres and wheels and as I am self employed I was wondering if I could claim this through my business as a legitimate expense? My car is personally owned (well leased actually) and not a company car.

If I get snowed in I cannot get to work! :)

Just curious...

If you keep a mileage log and claim a proportion of running costs against tax then I dont see why there should be any problem with this. Its a legitimate expense but not solely busines related - hence the need to apportion the cost.

Lol... companies I worked for claimed for their christmas dinner... I wouldnt lose any sleep.

Your allowed to claim £150 per employee per year I believe for staff parties and such like.

Chaps
Just about to order some winter tyres and wheels and as I am self employed I was wondering if I could claim this through my business as a legitimate expense? My car is personally owned (well leased actually) and not a company car.

If I get snowed in I cannot get to work! :)

Just curious...

Why tell the tax man they are winter tyres, just treat them as normal tyres on your expenses. Who's to know the difference?

Last edited:
If you keep a mileage log and claim a proportion of running costs against tax then I dont see why there should be any problem with this. Its a legitimate expense but not solely busines related - hence the need to apportion the cost.

If I submit 80% business mileage against the car, I guess I can claim 80% of the cost of the tyres?

If I submit 80% business mileage against the car, I guess I can claim 80% of the cost of the tyres?
Sounds right to me. I am also self employed and use my own vehicle for business purposes. That is how I would claim it. As long as you can back it up with a mileage log then I dont see any problem.

Sounds right to me. I am also self employed and use my own vehicle for business purposes. That is how I would claim it. As long as you can back it up with a mileage log then I dont see any problem.

At the moment I just claim the standard 45p per mile as per HMRC guidelines...

I wish my company paid me 45p per mile for using my car. Current reimbursement rate is 19p

If you don't normally claim for tyres I think you might struggle.
I wish my company paid me 45p per mile for using my car. Current reimbursement rate is 19p
If it's your own car you can claim the difference back from HMRC.

Well, if you already claim the 45p, then this covers not just fuel but also all your car-ownership-related expenses including depreciation, servicing, insurance, road tax, and of course tyres. So I think the answer is no?

I save every single receipt to do with my car...no matter what...then my accountant claims for a proportion. So, the answer is yes re: the winter wheels.

Can you not (politely) tell them that 19p per mile will not cover your running costs, and that you are in fact subsidising your company.

Thats absolutely ridiculous, I certainly wouldn't insult any of my employees in that way...if they want you to use your car they should pay the rate prescribed-which in itself is sadly inadequate!
You can of course claim the difference between what you're paid and the rate the HMRC allow on your personal tax return.

You can go about it in one of two ways. You can either claim HMRC's 45p per mile against your tax which covers all business expenses related to motoring so no separate claim for the tyres will be allowed, or you can keep mileage logs and receipts for all motoring expenses, including tyres, and apportion them between work and personal miles. You can't 'mix and match'.

At the moment I just claim the standard 45p per mile as per HMRC guidelines...

Your accountant (if you use one) should identify whether it is more beneficial to claim the standard 45p per mile, or whether to claim a percentage of your total running costs of your car.

A lot will depend on how many business miles you do compared to private usage. The maths should not be that difficult.

Thats absolutely ridiculous, I certainly wouldn't insult any of my employees in that way...if they want you to use your car they should pay the rate prescribed-which in itself is sadly inadequate!
You can of course claim the difference between what you're paid and the rate the HMRC allow on your personal tax return.

If an employee takes cash in lieu of a company car, then broadly inline with HMRC guidelines:

HM Revenue & Customs: Company cars - advisory fuel rates from 1 September 2011

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom