Winter tyres and storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sgregory124

MB Enthusiast
Car
E63S
Ok, so it's the middle of summer and i'm asking a question about winter tyres - I know, i'm 'that' guy.

Has anyone used in the past or actively use a tyre storage company for storing winter/summer tyres when off the car? I ask because i'm seriously considering investing in a set of winter tyres later in the year and have no space to permenantly store 4 tyres.

I've seen that there seem to be some companies offering both fitting/re-fitting and storage for a nominal annual fee (not including the initial cost of the tyres obviously) and wondered if anyone has used one of these services and can recommend one?

Thanks in advance for any help etc etc......

Simon

Ok, so it's the middle of summer and i'm asking a question about winter tyres - I know, i'm 'that' guy.

Has anyone used in the past or actively use a tyre storage company for storing winter/summer tyres when off the car? I ask because i'm seriously considering investing in a set of winter tyres later in the year and have no space to permenantly store 4 tyres.

I've seen that there seem to be some companies offering both fitting/re-fitting and storage for a nominal annual fee (not including the initial cost of the tyres obviously) and wondered if anyone has used one of these services and can recommend one?

Thanks in advance for any help etc etc......

Simon
In your situation think about all season tyres ? I use winters , but store them in the garage stacked up (on another set of wheels )

In your situation think about all season tyres ? I use winters , but store them in the garage stacked up (on another set of wheels )

Did think of that but there is one situation when full winters would come in very handy, I ski once a year in the French Alps. In past years i've taken Audi's, with summer tyres and all wheel drive of course. Barring one exceptional year where I had to throw the chains on, i've been absolutely fine because the roads to the chalet have been clear of snow and ice (in the usual super efficient French style).

That being said the resort is quite low in the scale of other more well known ski areas so its normally ok anyway. But, given this is a different beast and I hear good things about winter tyres in the proper conditions I thought a proper set with the backup of chains should see me right....

This is a whole world of opinions and facts. There is a really good reviewer in youtube that has conducted this tests for the brits and he concluded that all seasons were the most appropriate compromise for the U.K. and given that they are rated for ice and snow, you should be okay in the alps.

Pirelli now store mine for me.

I just pay a fee to switch them over, storage is free. They store a combination of tyres only, and tyres mounted on wheels for me, but I believe most people store tyres only.

I was rotating summer/winter tyres on three cars (all rather large ones) plus storing other spare tyres and it was getting out of hand. I had a single garage full of wheels and tyres!

Since Event tyres folded I was also finding it difficult to find someone to come out and switch them for me, and hence a few years ago I started using Pirelli store.

Pirelli now store mine for me.

I just pay a fee to switch them over, storage is free. They store a combination of tyres only, and tyres mounted on wheels for me, but I believe most people store tyres only.

I was rotating summer/winter tyres on three cars (all rather large ones) plus storing other spare tyres and it was getting out of hand. I had a single garage full of wheels and tyres!

Since Event tyres folded I was also finding it difficult to find someone to come out and switch them for me, and hence a few years ago I started using Pirelli store.
Do they mark up which tyre came off which side?

I store them at home, build a wooden rack on castor wheels allowing me to easily move them around in the garage, it takes me about 30 mins per car on each changeover.

And I only use the cars in the UK :) overkill I know but has saved me and my wife a few times, the only problem is the other car users (not you of course) in the UK all drive around on summer tyres in Wintery conditions and are slipping up and down slight inclines and stopping all traffic.

I store them at home, build a wooden rack on castor wheels allowing me to easily move them around in the garage, it takes me about 30 mins per car on each changeover.

And I only use the cars in the UK :) overkill I know but has saved me and my wife a few times, the only problem is the other car users (not you of course) in the UK all drive around on summer tyres in Wintery conditions and are slipping up and down slight inclines and stopping all traffic.

All too aware of morons in the UK on regular tyres, unfortunately i've seen the equivalent French drivers performing some ridiculous moves on fresh snow down on mountain passes with winter tyres so a**holes are everyone where I guess! That being said i'd still like to be on the best tyre for the conditions if possible.

This is a whole world of opinions and facts. There is a really good reviewer in youtube that has conducted this tests for the brits and he concluded that all seasons were the most appropriate compromise for the U.K. and given that they are rated for ice and snow, you should be okay in the alps.

Interesting, will definitely check all weathers out. Thanks for the info.

I'll never go without them after the Beast from the East in 2017 where we were in a critical situation and the Sottozeros kept us sure footed in a heavy rwd where others were floundering. The only downside is that one must be mindful regarding the discrepancy in braking distances from the surrounding cars, the majority of which will likely be on Summer tyres.

As I have not had my W204 long (since May) and this is the first rear wheel drive car I've had in many years I have been thinking about the coming winter and that probably I'd have to just not use the car if it snows.
I have nowhere to store tyres if I change temporarily for the winter season so I'm considering changing to all weather tyres in the hope that it will be an improvement.

As I have not had my W204 long (since May) and this is the first rear wheel drive car I've had in many years I have been thinking about the coming winter and that probably I'd have to just not use the car if it snows.
I have nowhere to store tyres if I change temporarily for the winter season so I'm considering changing to all weather tyres in the hope that it will be an improvement.
Winters (and all seasons which are 90% as good in the winter) are a massive increase in safety and drivability in the colder months . I’ve been swapping my wheels/tyres over for the last 7 years now I think .
The first time I used them they were fitted the day before a few inches of snow fell and I live at the bottom of a hill .
I didn’t expect much but the car sailed up there without even blipping the traction control light . All around were abandoned rear wheel drive cars . I’ve been sold ever since .

Do they mark up which tyre came off which side?

Yes, anyone offering tyre storage will mark them front/rear near/off-side.

Simon

Living where you are, with the power of the car that you have, to me it seems obvious that you would run winter (wheels and) tyres.

Be wary of Southerners saying they're not really necessary. They're not, Sarf o'Watford.

Living where you are, with the power of the car that you have, to me it seems obvious that you would run winter (wheels and) tyres. Be wary of Southerners saying they're not really necessary. They're not, Sarf o'Watford.

They're not, by and large. Snow is a rarity down here in southern Bucks, and in the 26 years I've lived down here, I've never been stuck. Mind you, I'm close to roads that are invariably well-salted/gritted, and the steepest slope I have no choice over negotiating when I go out is my drive - about twenty yards of one in ten, and I keep salt for that if I need it.

If you are a fan of safety and think I’ll buy good summer tyres because it’s your only contact with the road , then winter tyres at below 7 degrees do increase your safety over summer tyres .
If that’s not a concern , then yes of course you can get from A to B in most parts of the country without changing tyres

This is a good early start to the ”winter tyres or not annual debate “ :wallbash::):)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom