Winter tyres fitted by Wheels In Motion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltan

Car
E320 CDI Estate
Just a quick note to say I bought some Winter tyres from Germany and had them fitted last week by Wheels in Motion in Chesham. Was quite a drive as I went from Birmingham to London (to pick up a friend) and then back up to Chesham (8 hours and over 300 miles all together, including a few detours).

I'd emailed them before going down and was quite pleased with a very quick response from Tony.

I wanted to get all new tyres fitted, new tyre pressure monitors on the back and a slow leak looked at on the front. Tony was very helpfull and explained that since they would be taking the tyres off anyway they could do all that at the same time and all for a simple fixed cost.

Turned out the front alloys were badly coroded and also had weird beading like marks around the edge, but the guys were able to clean them up, balance and seal no problems. All in all a pleasant visit, which is just what a noob like me wants.

A quick note on the Vredestein Wintrak Exreme's, I was worried that there might be more noise at high speed but on the motorway I've not noticed any difference at all. In terms of driving, the car certainly felt more sure-footed driving back to London in very heavy rain, no aquaplaining. My friend also noticed the car was handling better than before. I'm afraid I don't have any more scientific way of describing it, but it felt like a more relaxed drive.

WIM are great - used them before and would happily use them every time. Great team and honest service, can't ask for more than that.

I wanted to get all new tyres fitted, new tyre pressure monitors on the back and a slow leak looked at on the front. Tony was very helpfull and explained that since they would be taking the tyres off anyway they could do all that at the same time and all for a simple fixed cost.

A quick note on the Vredestein Wintrak Exreme's, I was worried that there might be more noise at high speed but on the motorway I've not noticed any difference at all. In terms of driving, the car certainly felt more sure-footed driving back to London in very heavy rain, no aquaplaining.
You changed old, worn tyres for new ones and found they were better an no noisier.
That's not too surprising really, is it?

Fot what it is worth, I have Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme as the winter set-up on my X5 which does 2/3 trips to the Alps every ski season. Fantastic tyre both for getting there at autobahn speeds and heading up into the mountains. Never had to use chains and had some impressively slippy and steep roads. Still no major wear after 3 year's use.

You changed old, worn tyres for new ones and found they were better an no noisier.
That's not too surprising really, is it?

Fair point, but for some reason I just thought the winter tyres would be noisier on the motorway, no particular reason why :dk:

Fair point, but for some reason I just thought the winter tyres would be noisier on the motorway, no particular reason why :dk:

For a given tread depth they probably will be due to there being more sipes. You won't know until they wear down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom