Winter tyres for 2010 Clc 180

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Misc125

Car
CLC 180 Comp Sport
Hi everyone,

I own a 2010 Clc 180 Kompressor Sport and need to replace the two rear tyres. As winter is fast approaching and remembering experience in the snow last year I thought I'd look at putting some winter tyres on.

I've looked through other posts but can't work out what I need!

Can somebody tell me whether I can fit winter tyres to my existing alloys (Tyremen seem to be selling some that do) or do I need to be buying alloys as well?

Sizes are 1) Front = 225 w 40 prof and 18 d 2) rear = 245 w 35 prof and 18 d

Appreciate any help.

If you will be driving in snow it's best getting the smallest possible alloys for your car and narrow high rubber.

195/65 15 on mine but 195/60 16 might be needed if you have the bigger front brakes.

Low profile winter tyres have very poor price/performance ratio.

My reference is Stockholm winters, icy conditions about 3 months/year. Ymmv

Been reading a thread on Pistonheads forum and Porsche drivers, with wide winter tyres, seem to do ok in winter/snow conditions. I am interested, as tyres on my C Class are wide as well.I have just had winter tyres put on in same size as summer ones.

Just put the same size on your existing wheels. Though you don't say where you live...so I am assuming you're not in the outer Hebrides...which may require a different approach.

Rural North Yorkshire...

Everyone says smaller is better for driving in snow, while this may be of more relevence to summer tyres, you will not care how wide a good winter tyre is as nothing seems to stop them.

Only problem I found was 245's are not very common in winters, Dunlop do one but very expensive, that is the only reason I went for 225's all round. Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes are very good.

Russ

Just put the same size on your existing wheels. Though you don't say where you live...so I am assuming you're not in the outer Hebrides...which may require a different approach.

Sticking to same size also ensures no potential issues with insurance as some companies still want to be advised if you change and *can* (there is a thread on AVForums) queery it if you are moving to a spec they don't recognise as OE fitment, even if it is suggested and/or supplied by the manufacturer.

Association of British Insurers - Winter Tyres - The Motor Insurance Commitment

I've just bought x4 Continental Wintercontact TS-850's for my wifes Mazda 2. The TS830's and now the TS850's get very good reviews (usually top or thereabouts) so I paid a touch more for them that the Pirellis I first considered. Mytyres.co.uk were cheapest after months of watching sites on and off and checking with Costco on Michelins. I got hold of some Mazda alloys (OE's) for a steal and got theme refurbished so will be runing two sets of wheels, but both exactly same tyre spec (195/45 R16). The C220 can just stay parked up if it snows.

Everyone says smaller is better for driving in snow, while this may be of more relevence to summer tyres, you will not care how wide a good winter tyre is as nothing seems to stop them.

Only problem I found was 245's are not very common in winters, Dunlop do one but very expensive, that is the only reason I went for 225's all round. Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes are very good.

Russ
Had the same issue with ours last winter. Could only find kumhos or Dunlops for the SLK. The dunlops were £100 per tyre more. So far the Kumhos have been excellent.

I fully understand that your winter conditions are not the same as mine, but if you ever need to drive in snow, slush or water that is deeper than your tyre thread (5-10mm), the tyre width directly affects how fast you can drive before the wheel loses contact with the ground. (look at rallycars)

Furthermore, a higher profile tyre can be driven with a lower tyre pressure and deform more, to better to stick to a slightly uneven ground (look at terrain vehicles)

Third, higher profile narrow winter tyres are much cheaper, which means you can afford a better performing tyre with the same budget.

Summary:
Dry tarmac -> wide, low sidewall tyres perform better.
Snow, slush and ice -> narrow, high sidewall tyres perform better

In the papers for your vehicle you should be able to see what tyre/wheel combinations are allowed. I find it very hard to believe a C180 has an 18" 35 profile tyre listed as the only allowed option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom