Winter tyres for SL 350

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NJSS

Car
2011 SL 350 Fire Opal Red|||2016 Land Rover Discovery|||1973 MGB GT V8|||1959 MGA Roadster
I have a set of 17" wheels to which I will fit winter tyres.

Two have scrap tyres on them, two have Dunlop SP Winter M3 tyres fitted, in date and with plenty of tread for the next winter or two.

I'm inclined to simply make up the set & fit another couple of the same tyres. Before committing I though I should seek advice as it has been suggested by a friend with a similar SL that there are better winter tyres than the Dunlops, and that I should fit a full set of his recommended tyre. I'm deliberately not mentioning the suggested tyre, as would like opinions of the best solution now availabile I am prepared to spend up to about £150-£200 fitted & balanced for a decent tyre.

When responding views on mixing tyres, i.e. retaining the decent Dunlops & fitting "better" tyres to the other wheels.

NJSS

The phenomenon of asking about tyre reviews on car forums...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just fit 2 more Dunlop’s , I wouldn’t over think it . They are still a good make and winters will feel like a driving revelation . Welcome to the converted :)

Many thanks.

Sadly no recommendations for Winter tyres in the first video - but does reccomend 2 for Season tyres - the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen 3 & Michelin CrossClimate+ :-

If you'd like to run an all season tyre year round, there's only really been one tyre I've been recommending up to now for the UK climate, and that's the Michelin CrossClimate+. Thanks to it's impressive summer performance, and grip way beyond a summer tyre in snow and ice, this is still currently my top recommendation, but Goodyear have also just released the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-3. The Gen-2 of this all season tyre was more often than not the"best of the rest" behind the Michelin for the UK, and sometimes the best choice for more extreme climates, so I expect the Gen-3 version to be right up there on performance!

The second recommends Continental Winter Contact TS860 which I am now investigating.

However W1ghty's comments are very relevant & I may simply fit 2 more Dunlops.

NJSS

NJSS

Last edited:
The dilemma is that even in winter, in the south of England, if you have winter tyres fitted to your car you will not be driving on the optimum tyre for most of the time.

Flowrider - a very good point, for which many thanks.

The average temperatures at sea level for the cooler months in Hampshire are:-

Month High / Low(°C)

January 8° / 2°
February 8° / 2°
October 15° / 8°
November 11° / 4°
December 8° / 2°

Temperature decreases by about 5.4°F for every 1,000 feet up you go in elevation, that is 9.8°C per 1,000 meters. However, if you’re in a cloud, or it is snowing/raining, the temperature decreases by about 3.3°F for every 1,000 feet up you go in elevation. Thus meaning it’s a change of 6°C per 1,000 meter.

My home is about 122 metres (401 feet) above sea level so in rough terms 2.5°F, or 3°C lower than average.

Winter tyres seem to be recommended when the temperature is below 7°F.

Because I live "down South" most of my motoring will be at local or lower temperatures if I travel North or to Continental Europe.

Hence my feeling that I am justified in fitting winter tyres between early November & Late February.

NJSS

We have been using Dunlop Winter Sports on our CLK for years (also had them for my now departed Jaguar XF) and can't fault them, especially on very cold, wet roads.

Many thanks Phantom F4 - I think this is the way in which I am going.

Abb - Many thanks an interesting link. I would be very interested at a lower price but the post indicates that the price is firm. I have similar wheels & tyres offered locally for substantially less money, although I confess those advertised on eBay are rather better looking.

NJSS

The difference between winter Tyres and summer Tyres will be greater that the difference between the very best winter Tyres and the Dunlop winter Tyres you already have.

If you’re happy with the two you already have then I would buy two more for the front axle.

PS I have no idea why my phone capitalises the word Tyres!

The manuals for my cars - at least the ones I’ve checked recommended winter Tyres when temperatures fall below 10 degree C.

Many thanks Bobby Dazzler.

I don't disagree with your conclusion.

I got the 7°C from a number of sites coming up on a Google search, in particular Autocar's advice on winter tyres :-

Winter tyres, meanwhile, are effective in all weather conditions, so long as the ambient temperature is below 7deg Celsius.

and

You should fit your winter tyres as soon as the ambient temperature drops consistently below 7deg Celsius.

I'm off to sort out some Dunlop SP Winter M3 tyres.

NJSS

Last edited:

I got the 7°C from a number of sites coming up on a Google search, in particular Autocar's advice on winter tyres :-

and

NJSS
I agree, many tyre manufacturers usually do indeed recommend 7 degrees, and I believe it to be Internet forum consensus too.

I fitted winter tyres on one of my cars (which came from the factory in sporty tyres) in late September (I think) and even then the difference was remarkable, and temperatures were warmer than 7-10 deg C.

I suspect that the more compromised the summer tyre, then the more noticeable the change is, and so changing over earlier in the season yields still yields a noticeable improvement. So many cars have sporty tyre SL these days.

and

NJSS
If you must change tyres see if you can get four Michelin CrossClimates in your size. I think these would be a better option and can be used all year round.

Many thanks Phantom F4 - I think this is the way in which I am going.

Abb - Many thanks an interesting link. I would be very interested at a lower price but the post indicates that the price is firm. I have similar wheels & tyres offered locally for substantially less money, although I confess those advertised on eBay are rather better looking.

NJSS
Forgot to mention that we got ours during one of Mercedes autumn promotions, four new alloys complete with tyres, per factory recommendations. The were 1" smaller diameter and all the same width, unlike the summer wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom