Winter tyres on AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Last edited:
Pirelli Sottozero will be fine, especially Series 3 like that.

I had Michelin Alpin PA4 on my C32 AMG and they were absolutely amazing in snow, superb in winter conditions, and even fine in summer. Amazing tyres. They made the undriveable-in-snow C32 AMG a go-anywhere-anytime-mobile!

I’m using Continental TS830(?) at the moment on other AMGs and they’re great too.

This might be leftfield but do Michelin cross climates fit ? They're a great compromise over pure winter tyres

I had the PS4s on the GT which are a bit hairy in the cold weather. All I could get off the shelf 21" was Continental Winter Contact TS860s, And after years of being a Nokian fan I must say these are outstanding, they get warm quick but are pliant from the outset, and none of that tail wiggle under harsh acceleration.

The contis where a fair bit cheaper than Alpines and Sottozero's by about £50-£75 a corner.

No crabbing either.

Going to be driving at mostly below 7C? if not, expect them to wear out quickly and not gain any real benefit.
No they don't. I've travelled all over Europe and even in temps over 40C a lot of folk use winters all year round. I've used mine for years in temps over 7C and they never seem to wear out.

Winter tyres seem to ast forever! I have run both RWD AMGs and AWD AMGs with winter tyres all year round and they just last and last.

Based on no scientific evidence but plenty of experience, I believe thy a winter tyre in summer is a better compromise than a summer tyre in winter.

I believe thy a winter tyre in summer is a better compromise than a summer tyre in winter.

As I said before, in summer temps from 30C to 40C+, from Prague to the South France & Spain, I was amazed at the amount of cars still wearing winter tyres.

I have some Kumho Izen kw27 on my C32 winter wheels. They are pretty good in snow and slush, but I find pulling away in those conditions better if you turn the esp off. They are nicely sure footed on icy roads but they can feel quite "mobile" on the tread blocks in warmer conditions, so I usually put a set of 18's on with Mich ps4 for the summer.

Reported

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom