Winter tyres to Summer ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
Hi Peeps,

When do you guys n girls change from Winter tyres to Summer? Weather seems quite mild of late and have been considering it.

Thanks in advance :thumb:

I changed mine last week. It varies every year though and I haven't been caught out yet...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I changed back to summers 3 weeks yesterday. On the sunday it snowed during the night and has been icey every morning since. You couldnt write it lol.

It really depends whether your summer tyres are high performance tyres or not. I’ll stay on winter tyres until after Easter when temperatures are consistently above 7 degrees.

Weather seems quite mild of late and have been considering it.
I was thinking the same yesterday. I'll probably see how this coming week goes and change them next weekend if the weather stays as mild as it has been.
With the up and down climate we now have I think the time when you could set a date to change them back has now gone. I guess it'll be different every year.

Winter tyres in Essex Gav?:D
I thought it was warm in the south.
We have had exactly 2 frosts since last Autumn. No need for winter tyres in darkest Dorset;)

I'm not smug Ant. Just lucky not to need to change to winters.
If it does by chance snow, I'm not going out in it anyway.

Never mind winter tyres we need winter shoes up here. :D

Winter tyres in Essex Gav?:D
I thought it was warm in the south.
We have had exactly 2 frosts since last Autumn. No need for winter tyres in darkest Dorset;)

Some people live 'oop notf', you know....

I'm sticking with the same tyres - not changing - I don't mind having a 3PMSF rating on my tyres over the summer.
A downside to keeping these on over the summer would be the increased wear rate. When next winter comes around they may be too worn to be effective...?

A downside to keeping these on over the summer would be the increased wear rate. When next winter comes around they may be too worn to be effective...?

I’ve run winter tyres throughout the summer on a variety of cars and they really don’t wear any fast. I’m fact, in my experience winter tyres lay longer than summer tyres by a healthy margin.

Maybe ... maybe not.

The wear seemed reasonable last summer.

But then they are officially summer tyres.

Each to their own... I just know from my experience that they can wear at a faster rate. I use Pirelli Sottozero 3 on my W211 throughout winter. ~2yrs ago I left them on through summer (laziness and 2x summers needed replacing) and the rears were done within 6k miles. My current winter rears are on ~12k and still 4.5mm used solely in winter. I'm merely suggesting it's a point to note and not all makes and models of tyre will wear at the same rate.

I'm merely suggesting it's a point to note and not all makes and models of tyre will wear at the same rate.

And some tyres are intended for use all year round.

I'm messing with you a bit. But did leave clues.;)

I set off at 6:45am every weekday, and am yet to see the temperature above 7ºC this time in the morning, so my winters are staying on for now :cool:

You moved the wrong direction from Manchester Ant. Should have come south;)

location was related to budget Roger. North-affordable. South-a dream.
We spent a few weeks on holiday in 2013 in Weymouth which was fab. Dorchester was awesome too. But well out of reach.

Happy here to be fair and daughter has picked up an adorable accent. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom