Winter tyres & wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fifermerc

Car
E350
Not wanting to wish summer away, but I'm looking to get winter tyres and wheels later in the year - E350 Estate. First time I got them (on another car), I put the winter tyres on my normal alloys. Soon realised my mistake of course, as I had to pay around £50 each spring/autumn to get them changed over.

Next car had 18 inch alloys, so to save money I got 16 inch steel wheels and put bigger profile tyres on them to make to same circumference as the alloys with summer tyres. Wished later that I had just spent a bit more and got alloys, as the steel wheels didn't have spoil the look of the car.

So to the present car, looking this time to get alloys with winter tyres. Main query is this - this is the first car I have had with rear and front tyres different sizes - rear 265/35 18 and front 245/40 18. Not quite sure what this means about what size winter tyres I need, and whether to fit the same size all round? If anyone has been down this route already, I'd appreciate their advice.

Thanks,
Pete

ive had the same profile 17inch all round for 2 years without any issues , think the staggered thing is just to cope with the torque through the rear wheels. hardly be doing this in the winter . wheelbase sell some pretty good winter wheels n tyres.

What does your handbook say? - Mine (for the CLK) says that the winter rims are 225/45/R17 all round, but the summer tyres are staggered 18s.

If you read the Owner's Manual there is a whole section on approved wheel and tyre combinations for both summer and winter fitments.

I ran the same size rims & winter tyres all round on my W212 E350CDI Saloon when I had it. I used 16-inch rims on my Avantgarde spec car, but I suspect you will have to go to 17's on the Sport to clear the calipers (the manual will confirm).

I run the same section winter tyres all round on my W212 E63, but on the standard 19-inch staggered rims. This may be an option on your car too, if you wish, but you'll need to check.

E 350 Coupe Summer
Front 235/40 18
Rear255/35/ 18

Winter 235/40/18 front and rear.

I sourced my winter set up from Main Dealer , they were not cheap :(

Thanks for the replies. My apologies - I should have thought to read the manual first! I'll have a look at that now. I bought my last set of tyres and wheels from a main dealer (not MB), so I would be hoping to source elsewhere this time, but I'll get a few prices.

Thanks

eBay. - I bought a set of winter tyres on rims from someone who'd sold their C-Class...

...they don't actually fit without spacers, but that's down to me assuming that all winter wheels were the same.

What does your handbook say? - Mine (for the CLK) says that the winter rims are 225/45/R17 all round, but the summer tyres are staggered 18s.

eBay. - I bought a set of winter tyres on rims from someone who'd sold their C-Class...

...they don't actually fit without spacers, but that's down to me assuming that all winter wheels were the same.

If you decide not to go with the ones you've bought, then let me know as taking up space in the garage I have a set of AMG III wheels in the correct 7.5j fitment, and correct 225/45 17 Michelin Alpin tyres - two good, two need to be replaced.

I bought them brand new to use as winter wheels on my C32 AMG, and used them for a relatively short amount of time - the tyres on them now were the first and only tyres ever fitted!

Spamming over!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom