Winter Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CardinalZeus77

Car
Porsche 991.2 911 Carrera S
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is going for Winter tyres this year?
I got some last year for my BMW and they were great in the snow/ice.

Do Mercedes offer any deals?

Shop around- ONLINE suppliers are often the cheapest but some local outlets can be OK. Do it soon

Hitman999 said:
Do Mercedes offer any deals?
Yes, MB dealers have an offer on now but you'll need to move quickly. For my E-Class the MB offer worked out circa £300 less than the best I could do online. YMMV and all that, though.

MB do winter tyres including rims with some discount. I know Costco have already had a few deliveries of popular sizes into store.

I have a set of 245 45 x 17 Michelin Alpines used last year on my E class if any one is interested do pm me.

Yes, MB dealers have an offer on now but you'll need to move quickly. For my E-Class the MB offer worked out circa £300 less than the best I could do online. YMMV and all that, though.

Do they offer storage of the Summer Tyres too?

Hitman999 said:
Do they offer storage of the Summer Tyres too?
Unfortunately not.

Time to clear some space in the shed?

Spoke to MB Dartford Kent yesterday about deals on winter tyres and wheels but guy I spoke to was not aware at all - waiting for the famous 'I'll call you back tomorrow'. Will get in touch again and update.

Don't want to spoil the party, but do any of you guys tell your insurance companies about this?

A friend found out that it counts as a modification and actually cost extra on his premium, even though in theory (common sense?) they should reduce the premium. Although maybe with winter tyres drive more aggressively in bad conditions, who knows?

Anyway, just thought I'd point this out, as its worth making sure your insurance isn't voided by doing this.

Last edited:
A friend found out that it counts as a modification and actually cost extra on his premium, even though in theory (common sense?) they should reduce the premium.

There was a bit of an outcry about this last year as some insurance company call-centre staff were giving this message. It was generally corrected when someone higher up got involved.

It gets a bit greyer if you use different size wheels & tyres, but shouldn't be an issue as long as they're smaller and it's a size recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

Not expecting to take delivery of the car until September.

Anyone know the tyres sizes for the 18" AMG 5 Spoke wheels I went for on the car?

IF ITS A W204 FACELIFT AMG 5-spoke code 790 they are 235/40 front AND 255/35 rear tyres the wheel rim width will be staggered also.
http://torquesor.com/admin/uploaded_photos/65_download_pdf

and here

Interactive Owner's Manual [w204]

225/40 ZR18 92 Y XL on 8 J x 18 H2 ET 50

255/35 ZR18 94 Y XL on 8.5J x 18 H2 ET 54

note the winter tyres/wheel sizes are slightly smaller but check if they fit. your hub/brakes

Is it worth changing them?

Seems very expensive to get a set of winter wheels and tyres.

I am thinking its better to just stick Winter Tyres on the current alloys if the Winters are available in the sizes (which I am pretty sure they are).

Anyone recommend a particular tyre? I had Michelin Alpin PA3s on my BMW last winter.

Seems very expensive to get a set of winter wheels and tyres.

I am thinking its better to just stick Winter Tyres on the current alloys if the Winters are available in the sizes (which I am pretty sure they are).

Anyone recommend a particular tyre? I had Michelin Alpin PA3s on my BMW last winter.

If the tyre sizes are the same, you can put them on your existing wheels without a problem.

If they're slightly narrower then it should still be OK as OEM wheels are supplied with a little leeway either side, they're not sent from the factory fitted with either the narrowest or widest tyres for the wheel width - one size narrower should be fine.

That's what I did last year. Standard tyre is 245 wide on an 8.5j (inches wide) wheel. Winter tyre was 225 on same rim. This year I've bought narrower 7.5j (inches wide) wheels so the 225 winter tyre fits perfectly. It was fine before, just better now - and I don't need to go to tyre fitter to swap over.

If the tyre sizes are the same, you can put them on your existing wheels without a problem.

If they're slightly narrower then it should still be OK as OEM wheels are supplied with a little leeway either side, they're not sent from the factory fitted with either the narrowest or widest tyres for the wheel width - one size narrower should be fine.

That's what I did last year. Standard tyre is 245 wide on an 8.5j (inches wide) wheel. Winter tyre was 225 on same rim. This year I've bought narrower 7.5j (inches wide) wheels so the 225 winter tyre fits perfectly. It was fine before, just better now - and I don't need to go to tyre fitter to swap over.

Sounds good to me :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom