Winter Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interestingly they only do 17" wheels for my car, I'm currently running 18" so not a like for like comparison.

For what it's worth:
17" Design B Wheels - £370
Continental TS180S - £760

Plus VAT
Total = £1130

Similar for me, my ML is on 20" wheels at the moment and Tyremen quoted for 18" wheels with 255/55 tyres for £1040, your quote seems expensive in comparison.

David

Now I am worried that there might be cars driving around on winter tyres in conditions where summer tyres would be better. :D

David

Absolutely!! Where is this merry go round going to end? We should be told :)!!

Absolutely!! Where is this merry go round going to end? We should be told :)!!

Watch out for the 225 posts+ thread on 'Summer Tyres', starting here sometime around January/February. Topics discussed will include:

• ideal ambient temperature for summer tyres
  • do summer tyres really represent a safety margin over winters in such extreme high temperatures, or is it just marketing?
  • where to get good deals on summer tyres, including cheap rims so that your precious winter wheels are not damaged by summer kerbing etc
  • updated offers from MB to store your winter wheels during the short warm period
  • detailed analysis of why one summer tyre is better than any other, and contra-analaysis to show the chinese £40 remould beats the lot
  • various quotes from owners who don't understand what all this summer tyre nonsense is about, having driven for years on nothing more sophisticated than biscuit tin lids

Watch out for the 225 posts+ thread on 'Summer Tyres', starting here sometime around January/February. Topics discussed will include:

• ideal ambient temperature for summer tyres
  • do summer tyres really represent a safety margin over winters in such extreme high temperatures, or is it just marketing?
  • where to get good deals on summer tyres, including cheap rims so that your precious winter wheels are not damaged by summer kerbing etc
  • updated offers from MB to store your winter wheels during the short warm period
  • detailed analysis of why one summer tyre is better than any other, and contra-analaysis to show the chinese £40 remould beats the lot
  • various quotes from owners who don't understand what all this summer tyre nonsense is about, having driven for years on nothing more sophisticated than biscuit tin lids

Too late..........

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/wheels-tyres/117430-summer-tyres.html

:bannana:

David

It is safer to run winter tyres all year round and accept slightly less grip in hot weather than to run summer tyres which can be lethal in winter.

Conjecture ...

Can you back this up with any numbers or analysis?

Conjecture ...

Can you back this up with any numbers or analysis?

This info is taken from the tyre manufacturers association who will gladly supply you with any numbers or analysis you require.
You really are becoming quite tiresome though with your refusal to accept what others are saying. More so because they have experience of both types of tyres whereas you obviously don't and think everyone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes where winter tyres are concerned.

Russ

You really are becoming quite tiresome though with your refusal to accept what others are saying.

Thanks. I'll take that as a compliment.

The figures from the British Tyre Manufacturers' Association are also quite pithy. They don't say what they are comparing. But at least they show two different temperatures and four different conditions.

Do winter tyres make a difference?

The advantage you get in cold weather must be a disadvantage in warm weather so the best option surely is all season tyres all year.

David

The advantage you get in cold weather must be a disadvantage in warm weather so the best option surely is all season tyres all year.

David

It is all about clever rubber compounds. The key is that Winters are softer and have different tread patterns. You could run on these all year but you may get compromised tyre wear. Summers are much harder and have a different pattern again.

What is now happening is they are using clever compounds that adapt to the ambient temperature and tread patterns also so good in summer and winter.

Only by you!

I doubt that.

Everyone who buys them knows what the advantages are.

"Everyone"

More of *your* conjecture.

The risk is that with strong proponents such as yourself pushing the cause that a fair number will buy them because of what is said rather than because of what they actually deliver.

I doubt that.

"Everyone"

More of *your* conjecture.

The risk is that with strong proponents such as yourself pushing the cause that a fair number will buy them because of what is said rather than because of what they actually deliver.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:AAAAhhhhhh

Russ

With this winter tyre thread in mind I wandered round the Globo (local shopping centre) car park and noted there were many cars with winter tyres fitted. Most with plenty of tread depth. These have obviously survived the summer with high temperatures. Before someone asks- no, they would not be fitted early, as September is usually one of the hottest months in this area.
I should also mention the local promotion for the next spring tyre show, to be held in Milan.
As for the magic number of 7ºC, I think this came from the Rubber Association of Canada back in the late 90s, as did the snowflake in the mountain symbol.
My wife and I have driven for years on ordinary tyres all year round. Each year I had only fitted one car with winter tyres. It is only since the kids started driving that I have fitted them on all cars. The technology is available to use, and if it keeps them on the road, it is well worth using. I have never deemed it necessary to fit winter tyres to a 4x4 in England. However, last winter, my son showed us how to put a 4x4 straight up a bank, and then did the same, but sideways, in the Alpin shod C class. Funny how it’s always the boys.

All season tyres....all season.

Job done, enjoy driving.

Thing is, it's incredibly difficult to find all-season tyres... 99% of tyres sold in the UK as all season are actually summer tyres according to other countries governments and the manufacturers.

A proper all season tyre will have the snowflake symbol or the M+S marking to show that they have passed cold weather tests...

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom