Winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul3408

Hi all

I have a 2012 E Class and thinking about going to Poland in December, I have looked around this site but can't find the answer.

Do theses cars come with all season tyres, and how can I find this out I:E is there a sing on the tyre itself.

Last one. It gets pretty cold -20ish with snow, the roads are kept clear most of the time, but do you think the tyres that came with the car are up to it.

Thanks

standard tyres will probably be ok until you get into an emergency situation that you can't predict, then you'll wish you had winter tyres... they out perform all season tyres in every imaginable way from 7 degrees C and below, just go to youtube and watch a few vids....

standard tyres will probably be ok until you get into an emergency situation that you can't predict, then you'll wish you had winter tyres... they out perform all season tyres in every imaginable way from 7 degrees C and below, just go to youtube and watch a few vids....

Pehaps you would both like to define what you think all season tyres are.

I suspect you mean summer tyres as all season tyres are designed for the snow.

Presumably you're intending to drive through Germany? I've just cribbed this from the AA site:

"The rules in Germany .... now require all passenger cars ...... including vehicles from foreign countries to be fitted with winter tyres or all season tyres on all axles when conditions are wintery.
If your vehicle becomes stuck during the winter months because the tyres are unsuitable you will be liable to an on the spot fine in Germany. If the vehicle causes an obstruction and aggravation to other traffic, the fine may be doubled. You may also be prevented from continuing your journey."

Having been to Germany three times in previous winters I wouldn't contemplate going without winter tyres.

Hi all

Thanks for the replies

I did phone Mercedes and they told me they are all season tyres, I have looked at you tube and I have priced up some tyres around £100 each.
Obviously being poor I was hoping to get away with the all season tyres.

As far as the legality in Germany goes I'm ok with the tyres on the car,

As Spike says, there is some confusion over the meaning of "all season" tyres. There are a select few "four season" tyres designed to give decent winter performance whilst being just as much at home on hot summer tarmac. Particularly in the US, though, "all season" can mean "summer".

Obviously, four-seasons will be slightly compromised versus a true summer tyre if comparing on-the-limit grip on a hot smooth track surface, but for normal driving, they're great. It's in the snow and below-zero temperatures that they excel over summers, with sipes (very thin tread "slits" designed to pick up and retain snow, as snow-snow grip is better than snow-rubber grip) and compound that doesn't harden so much as it gets cold. They're a great alternative to having another set of wheels and tyres for the winter if you're likely to need to drive in wintry conditions.

Examples are Hankook Optimo 4S, Vredestein Quatrac and Goodyear Vector 4Season. These all have the mountain and snowflake symbol and the M+S marking that you need to be legal in some parts of Europe over the winter.

I ran Hankook Optimos last time around and am now on a set of Quatrac 3s. Both have been great in all conditions. Video: My Quatracs uphill in snow. I'm not slithering for the first 20s, I'm being indecisive.

It is very unlikely your car is fitted with four-season tyres with the mountain and snowflake symbol, but a quick bit of examination would determine this...

Last edited:
Hi Troon

That is a nice camera you have there is it part of the car or after market ? I will look at the tyres in the morning
Have just booked the eurotunnel at £148. Going out on the 22nd back on the 30 th I will be keeping a eye on the weather.

If you can afford a 2012 E Class you can also afford getting winter tyres for it if you plan to drive to Poland in late December. You will almost certainly experience snowfall, going through Belgium, Germany and Poland, and can't be compared to winter driving in the UK. Plenty of winter sets on ebay.de

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom