Winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JLS22

Car
W205 C63
Anyone going to swap over to winter tyres or just going to hope it doesn’t snow like last year (had to abandon my then M5 at the bottom of my hill on more than one occasion)?

My winter tyres are in the UK and I'm in France. It's a very long trip to the UK to pick them up. I can either buy some new ones here in which way it's probably the same price as to go back to the UK, or just not drive when it will inevitably snow. Still undecided on that one.

Wonder how much it would be to get them shipped over?

Dan

I’m planning on putting Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4’s on mine when the weather does eventually decline enough to warrant them. Although a few people have told me that “we are going to have a hard winter this year” but my thinking is that as the decent weather has been extended then surely the bad weather period has got to be shorter even if it is a rough one.

The way I see it, even with 4matic, summer tyres have very little chance in snow or even frost. If you are planning on using your rear wheel drive car regularly and can afford to buy winter tyres then I would suggest you fit them.

I'm waiting for my new wheels to arrive. I've got vredestein extremes ready to fit once they arrive.

Yes. Once I've sold my old wheels and winter tyres to make room in the garage I'll order a set!

Given the long range forecast is pretty grim I think I may invest in some. I don’t really want to get a whole new wheel set though, can you just store tyres or only wheel/tyres? I know tyres don’t take kindly to be taken on and off time and again....

I'm swapping over to Crossclimate+ this week which although not as good as full M+S tyres but where I am we rarely get it bad.

I also don't rely on the car for commuting etc.

can you just store tyres or only wheel/tyres? I know tyres don’t take kindly to be taken on and off time and again....
Yes, you can just store tyres. If the tyre fitters exercise care, demounting and remounting won't be a huge problem bearing in mind that you won't have to swap over tyres that have a total life expectancy of 10-12k miles that many times :D

...............The way I see it, even with 4matic, summer tyres have very little chance in snow or even frost.............

Interesting you say that. Winter tyres definitely have an advantage in snow but in many years of owning various Jeeps and ML's I have never had an issue driving in snow on summer tyres.

i drove a kia sportage in the beast from the east on half worn summers with no problems in 4x4 mode, i suppose winters would of made it even better.

Given the long range forecast is pretty grim I think I may invest in some. I don’t really want to get a whole new wheel set though, can you just store tyres or only wheel/tyres? I know tyres don’t take kindly to be taken on and off time and again....
Find out if there is a tyre hotel in your area, who will store the set not being used. If you’re in the Midlands then Pirelli Burton upon Trent do this.

Interesting you say that. Winter tyres definitely have an advantage in snow but in many years of owning various Jeeps and ML's I have never had an issue driving in snow on summer tyres.
Now this sounds like I'm back tracking.
I know I said 4matic with summer tyres will have very little chance in snow, I guess what I should have said was 4matic with summer tyres will get you by, but I won't be getting the full benefit of the 4matic system in snow without winter tyres. In fact RWD cars with winter tyres would be better than 4matic with summer tyres.

The wife had a Range Rover Evoque (summer tyres) and I don't remember it being too comfortable in the snow. I've had 4x4 pick-ups with all terrain tyres and they have all performed great in snow. I guess it would have been better if I'd have said I believe it's the tyre that makes the car perform better in the snow irrespective of the drive train.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm seriously thinking about buying an old 4wd of some kind - running / repair costs is of course a consideration but when thinking about the cost of switching to winter tyres (and back) and then the thought of driving about in poor conditions (what with some of the twats on our roads:mad:), having an old 4wd on standby may be the better option :confused:

Bought a set of alloys and winter tyres for my car last winter, I'll be swapping them over probably at the end of the month. We had a fair bit of snow last year, and living up a hill and with a steep drive I had no problems get up or down. My previous car was fwd and struggled in any covering of snow, I'm pretty sure the E class on summer tyres wouldn't have been much good.

Got my winter tyres ready to roll (no pun intended).

Summer tyres left me hi and dry last winter...Put winters on the Honda S2000 - and it was sensational.

Quick question - Tyre pressure monitors on the E63 - is it in the valve itself so need to be reused?

I have just bought 2 Conti Winter contact TS830P with a good 7 mm of tread on them. I am also suspecting some heavy snow in Fife, ( in Scotland generally ) although Leven seems to mostly miss it or treated gently.
Next time I am home November time, I will get these put on the car with the Michelins I already have and discard the 2 Dunlops that are worn.
Winter tyres are a very subjective fitment, depending where you live and the conditions you may expect. Its a gamble, but I always feel safer with winter tyres on as they are not just for the snow.

Steve.

I have just bought 2 Conti Winter contact TS830P with a good 7 mm of tread on them.
The TS830P was my first experience of winter tyres. I think you'll be impressed with them :thumb:

Bought some second hand MB wheels, had them powder coated, now they're sat waiting for me to get some Pirelli Sotozero 3's fitted.
Didn't have winter tyres last year and it was "difficult".
Had winter tyres on a previous Porsche Boxster and it was never anything like as "difficult".
The cost of changing 4 tyres twice a year soon mounts up to the price of a second hand set of rims that you can sell on after you sell the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom