Winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had a E class estate couple of yes ago and could go no where in the bad weather , I bought 2 preused
rear winter tyres for £40 each fitted and could not believe the difference it was unbelievable.
They were great , then when the weather picked up it only cost me s £5 a wheel to switch back to summer tyres .
For rear wheel drives I think they are a must.

christ , you ;ll have the you must put 4 on brigade on yer back . :)

The wider the tyre, generally speaking the more they will struggle in snow.

exactly my point, so thos e reviews dont offer the full truth , only on a 195 65 15 .

How is everyone who is getting winter tyres storing them? Really can’t find any tyre “hotels” round by me

Stored upright up in the rafters of my garage once the have been quickly washed

I rotate them every few weeks

I was just going to store them in my garage just been reading up on how to store them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is everyone who is getting winter tyres storing them? Really can’t find any tyre “hotels” round by me

on the car .

I always swap over from Summers to Winters and back to Summers when the clock changes. The garage store the tyres for me. I think it costs £45 to change the set including storage. The initial cost to buy the winters was high but of course once you have them your summers last twice as long.

My S211 on winter tyres will out perform the local Cheshire Range Rover crew on their bling wheels with 21" low profile summer tyres. It's quite amusing driving past them on the steep hill out of the village while they slid none too gracefully, sideways into the kerbs.

exactly my point, so thos e reviews dont offer the full truth , only on a 195 65 15 .

I suppose it's very difficult to cater for all sizes and all requirements in a test. I think it would be fair to assume that if the technology of the tyre works well in one size it will be OK in another. This one uses 205/55/16:
2018 ADAC Winter Tyre Test 205 55 R16 - Tyre Reviews

Hello dear fellow forum members. This is my first post on this forum. I've owned a few mercs over the years though i've never thought using winter tyres was a necessity up until this point in time, I find i am now commuting around around 200ish miles a week over the winter months. I also have a young infant in the car and will have more passengers (inlaws, babysitters etc) more often in the car. Therefore i am a lot more safety conscious than i used to be, though one could argue i should be less safety conscious regarding inlaws.

I do live in surrey though, which means average temperatures are never that extreme for the most part so i'm still on the fence regarding whether i actually need winter tyres in the first place for most of the winter except for the worst weather spells. Though living in a hilly area and having roads that dont see much gritting, i'm reluctantly looking at the winter tyre option between dec and march.

With the 265/35/19R 98load rear rims and 245/35/19F 93 load front rim sizes (, there are only ever so limited tyres that fit those rims with a 35 height profile. If i were to get a different rim size, i would have no idea if they will actually fit the vehicle. I understand that the AMG 18s dont fit the S model due to the larger brakes on the s model?

I've looked up at suitable options for these rim sizes and it seems like the following are the best matches (never in a million years would i gravitate to these tyres ever given how old they are vs the improved next gen tyres by those manufacturers but i'm a bit stuck if i want to get tyres matching my rims). They are:
a. Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4
b. Conti TS830P
c. Pirelli 470 Sottozero Serie II
(I just need to confirm that they dont work best on a square set up (ie same tyre widths on all four tyres).

I could potentially try and go with 265/40 and 245/40 rear and fronts and have more options but i dont know if the sidewall height becomes a problem. Does anyone have any experience of using slightly higher profile tyres on the 63 205 platform without experiencing any rubbing issues?
If I did go that route, I would have arguably the best winter tyre (other than from a tyre wear perspective) ie the Conti TS860p provided it is designed to work with staggered front and rear tyre widths. I can speak to a tyre fitter but the only ones reasonably close by to me are kwikfit and another chain. I dont know if they are any good but will give them a call. My local merc dealer has only given me the michellin PA4 and Conti 830p options (at a ridiculous price) and the dont really seem to put much mental effort into things.

Any thoughts, ideas would be most welcomed.

BTW i've got an official merc pdf document which details the official MO tyres for various models updated as of June 2018 as a general resource to anyone who may find it useful.
Best

Attachments

• Approved wheel AMG 205.287 (1).pdf
    112.2 KB · Views: 4

I'm sorry I can't be more specific but my first thoughts would be to look for a set of smaller rims, possibly steels and fit these with either current winter tyres such as TS860s or an all weather type such as Crossclimate+.

Hello dear fellow forum members. This is my first post on this forum. I've owned a few mercs over the years though i've never thought using winter tyres was a necessity up until this point in time, I find i am now commuting around around 200ish miles a week over the winter months. I also have a young infant in the car and will have more passengers (inlaws, babysitters etc) more often in the car. Therefore i am a lot more safety conscious than i used to be, though one could argue i should be less safety conscious regarding inlaws.

I do live in surrey though, which means average temperatures are never that extreme for the most part so i'm still on the fence regarding whether i actually need winter tyres in the first place for most of the winter except for the worst weather spells. Though living in a hilly area and having roads that dont see much gritting, i'm reluctantly looking at the winter tyre option between dec and march.

With the 265/35/19R 98load rear rims and 245/35/19F 93 load front rim sizes (, there are only ever so limited tyres that fit those rims with a 35 height profile. If i were to get a different rim size, i would have no idea if they will actually fit the vehicle. I understand that the AMG 18s dont fit the S model due to the larger brakes on the s model?

I've looked up at suitable options for these rim sizes and it seems like the following are the best matches (never in a million years would i gravitate to these tyres ever given how old they are vs the improved next gen tyres by those manufacturers but i'm a bit stuck if i want to get tyres matching my rims). They are:
a. Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4
b. Conti TS830P
c. Pirelli 470 Sottozero Serie II
(I just need to confirm that they dont work best on a square set up (ie same tyre widths on all four tyres).

I could potentially try and go with 265/40 and 245/40 rear and fronts and have more options but i dont know if the sidewall height becomes a problem. Does anyone have any experience of using slightly higher profile tyres on the 63 205 platform without experiencing any rubbing issues?
If I did go that route, I would have arguably the best winter tyre (other than from a tyre wear perspective) ie the Conti TS860p provided it is designed to work with staggered front and rear tyre widths. I can speak to a tyre fitter but the only ones reasonably close by to me are kwikfit and another chain. I dont know if they are any good but will give them a call. My local merc dealer has only given me the michellin PA4 and Conti 830p options (at a ridiculous price) and the dont really seem to put much mental effort into things.

BTW i've got an official merc pdf document which details the official MO tyres for various models updated as of June 2018 as a general resource to anyone who may find it useful.
Best
Are you sure you have the same profile ratio front and rear with different tyre widths?

I'm sorry I can't be more specific but my first thoughts would be to look for a set of smaller rims, possibly steels and fit these with either current winter tyres such as TS860s or an all weather type such as Crossclimate+.

Replies are appreciated, the tyre choice is spot on, I considered the cross climate + tyres to be ideal for our mild winters but it looks like they only fit on 18 inch diameters and also sadly the vehicle struggles to accommodate 18inch wheels as the brakes are a bit to big on the S model. the standard S20563 would not have this issue. I know they have an SUV version of these tyres. I can look into whether they could work. I called a couple of other tyre workshops, lets see if they bother getting back to me on the "40" height question.

Last edited:
Are you sure you have the same profile ratio front and rear with different tyre widths?

That's right both front and rear are 19 inch diameter on the standard alloys. For completeness, the load is 93 on the fronts and 98 on the rear wheels.

That's right both front and rear are 19 inch diameter on the standard alloys. For completeness, the load is 93 on the fronts and 98 on the rear wheels.
Yes, I know the wheels are 19, but the tyres are different widths and therefore the aspect ratio front and rear should be different.

255/35 and 285/30.

Gotcha, that is indeed true for the coupe , not the estate. the estate is 35 front and back as standard. Having thought about what you've written a bit more , I dont see why i cant look for 245/30 and 265/30 tyres as an alternative! appreciated

Edit

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom