Winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have my winters stored in the rafters of my garage
3 seasons use on the CLK and now E class coupe
Not snow tyres, but cold weather tyres

£40 to swap and a further £40 in March
I reckon they'll be on at the end of this month based on the long range forecast

When they wear out I will be going onto some multi seasons / cross climates as they seem to be available in the right sizes now

PS I only actually got them as Hankook let me have 2 free when I bought 2 three years ago (so it was rude not to)

PPS got me out of a few places last winter (when a beemer next to me couldn't) and I avoided one twonk in a Chelsea tractor drifting towards me at least once that I remember

I know its 20C today in the south east but the winter wheels and tyres went on the SLK today. (going to be away until November when it may be colder) Putting a set of winter tyres on the CLK on Monday and plan to leave them on all year. The car does very low mileage so the extra wear in summer is not really an issue. Both are pretty much undriveable in snow on summer tyres. The 124 has Vredestein winters on all year round as they are compulsory part of the year in Italy. This year they have coped brilliantly in the snow and 39C in the summer.

I've used winter tyres for a good few years now. We live high up in the Pennines so we do cop for the bad weather so it makes sense for us. I've always gone down the two sets of wheels and tyres route as I just find it more convenient, and I can get the correct size winter tyres, rather than swapping the summers in the same size.

The new "all season" tyres are a great compromise for people who don't want the hassle of swapping, but so far they are not available in all sizes.

A word of warning for people thinking four wheel drive is the answer. It's not without suitable tyres. You might get going easily, but your stopping and steering is no different than a two wheel drive car. For a while I had a BMW on winter tyres and a Range Rover on M+S road tyres. The Range Rover would set off well enough, but steering and braking was fairly hairy, especially on downhill stretches where it was more of a V8 sledge! :eek:

I fully take on board the better braking figures when the weather gets cold and I still have my winter tyres. For the last few years down here on the South Coast though I haven't bothered to put them on, as there only seems to be a very brief spell when they are required but still I have them just in case.
Personally I avoid taking my decent car out when the weather is that bad, I have fitted all season tyres to my vans and find them to be very good indeed and perhaps a bit more confidence when the weather turns nasty.

I'm seriously thinking about buying an old 4wd of some kind - running / repair costs is of course a consideration but when thinking about the cost of switching to winter tyres (and back) and then the thought of driving about in poor conditions (what with some of the twats on our roads:mad:), having an old 4wd on standby may be the better option :confused:

And how 4WD will help you to break in snowy conditions?
How will 4WD help you to stay on the road when cornering in snowy or icy conditions?

If anything winter tyres should be mad compulsory on 4WD even if not compulsory on other vehicles as 4WD might be easier to get going in snow just to cause trouble when it cant break or handle a corner!

I'm pretty sure the E class on summer tyres wouldn't have been much good.

My E-class was useless in snow, was moving sideways into the kerb rather than forward. While smaller cars seemed to manage. With proper winter tyres I do enjoy driving E-Class in snow!

Putting a set of winter tyres on the CLK on Monday and plan to leave them on all year. The car does very low mileage so the extra wear in summer is not really an issue. Both are pretty much undriveable in snow on summer tyres.

Did just that with Continental TS850. Did not expect them to last long as everyone says winter tyres will wear out quickly if used in summer. Done 15k in them over several years and they are still 4mm - never managed to get 15K from any other tyres, struggling to get even 5K from Michelin Sport 4!

Did just that with Continental TS850. Did not expect them to last long as everyone says winter tyres will wear out quickly if used in summer. Done 15k in them over several years and they are still 4mm - never managed to get 15K from any other tyres, struggling to get even 5K from Michelin Sport 4!
That’s my experience too, modern Winter tyres seem to cover miles than summer Tyres, even when used all year round.

I fitted her winter wheels & tyres to the other half's car at the weekend.
We're in the Highlands and always get hit with 'proper' winters They are essential. Goodyear Ultra Grips on hers. I have Bridgestone Blizzak on my wheels.
Can't bring myself to fit mine yet. ;)
I spent a few years living in Germany where it is Pflicht to have either a second set of wheels with winters fitted or use all round M&S tyres (and I don't mean the high street retailer) ;)

Been discussed before... on several occasions.

The bottom line is that people living in the South where it only snows or gets real cold a couple of times a year, mostly don't change to winter tyres, especially if their circumstances are such that they can afford to avoid using the car on those rare occasions that harsh driving conditions are predicted.

Those living up north, where poor weather is more frequent in winter, or those who depend on their car for a living or for mobility, will likely fit winter tyres.

All weather tyres are generally seen ad a reasonable compromise for those who need to travel in winter but lack the storage facilities or means to change wheels at home, and do not want to pay the MB dealer £££ for storing and replacing their winter tyres.

But please do let the debate continue........ :)

....and I forgot to mention those who travel with their cars from the UK to ski resorts in France, or to other North European destination during winter time, who will also most certainty fit winter tyres.

(My understanding is that in Germany you can be stopped by the police if you attempt to drive your car with summer tyres in bad weather during the winter)

Definitely getting some for my E Class not sure what brand yet maybe Kumho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spare 19 inch AMG wheels ready to go onto the C63 in mid November. Am in Hertfordshire so no real snow but lots of leaves, damp wet roads and mud etc. Tyres for this year will be Dunlop Wintersport 3D.

Another ‘which tyre’ thread... really?

I doubt F1 teams spend as much time debating the subject as some members on here!
Genuinely funny.
I don't bother with Winters as a) I live on the coast and, b) living at not much above sea level everywhere else is uphill.
I work at home so take the view that anywhere else I might want to go will have worse weather than here so I don't.

I will, of course, be in the supermarket clearing the shelves of essentials like bread, meat, milk, beer, wine and gin at the first sign of bad weather.

I will, of course, be in the supermarket clearing the shelves of essentials like bread, meat, milk, beer, wine and gin at the first sign of bad weather.

I don't wait for bad weather before stocking up on the non perishable essentials. Don't forget the tonic, you wouldn't want to risk getting malaria.:)

I had a E class estate couple of yes ago and could go no where in the bad weather , I bought 2 preused
rear winter tyres for £40 each fitted and could not believe the difference it was unbelievable.
They were great , then when the weather picked up it only cost me s £5 a wheel to switch back to summer tyres .
For rear wheel drives I think they are a must.

how many mercs have 195/65 R15 fitted ? would they be as good at say 245 40 18 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom