winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cpw1958

Car
CLK 230K Cabriolet
:dk: i just don't get all the fuss over winter tyres.In last years snow if i couldn't get out of our village i walked to work.The thought of changing tyres in the winter is beyond me,my car has four nice tyres on it already which will do the job nicely.
If conditions are that bad and i need winter tyres for the few days of snow we get i'd rather walk.I would hate to be able to get around in the snow and have some less equiped car slide into me.
It's just my opinion and fair play to all those that change tyres but it's not for me.

The tyres aren't just for the snow but the generally cold, wet, icy, nasty conditions our winters through up at us!

:dk: i just don't get all the fuss over winter tyres.In last years snow if i couldn't get out of our village i walked to work.The thought of changing tyres in the winter is beyond me,my car has four nice tyres on it already which will do the job nicely.
If conditions are that bad and i need winter tyres for the few days of snow we get i'd rather walk.I would hate to be able to get around in the snow and have some less equiped car slide into me.
It's just my opinion and fair play to all those that change tyres but it's not for me.

Haven't I seen this exact same post on another forum?

The tyres aren't just for the snow but the generally cold, wet, icy, nasty conditions our winters through up at us!

What he said! I am getting mine fitted to my steelies tomorrow. Thank god for my brother working for a tyre place! :bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana: Besides I live at the bottom of a hill!

Why bother with a car at all....walking is even better in summer !

The winter tyre performance in cold, wet, icy, and snowy conditions are truly amazing. Don't kock it 'till you have tried them.:thumb:

try that up here and you won't get far,no use at all if you use your car for work

Last edited:

I understand and appreciate your opinion, after all that is your choice.
What I cannot understand though is if your vehicle 'has four nice tyres on it already which will do the job nicely' why the need to walk to work? :confused:

My wife works in Slough, not exactly the most remote of pLaces. Last winter when in snowed late one afternoon / evening a lrge percentage of her colleages could not drive on the snow covered roads and were stranded. She made it home safely because she had winter tyres fitted to her CLK500 Convertible. (and we live out in the sticks and did not see a snowplough or gritter for the best part of a week duing the snow).

I expect my car to get me to the destination in all weathers. If the technology exists to make my car safer and easier to drive in these conditions then you can bet I'm going to invest in it.

Why compromise?

I understand and appreciate your opinion, after all that is your choice.
What I cannot understand though is if your vehicle 'has four nice tyres on it already which will do the job nicely' why the need to walk to work? :confused:
They are nice tyres honest,but getting out of a single track road up our hill would test the best of winter tyres.Although the local farmers Massey Fergusson has no trouble.Perhaps i could use that when the weather turns bad.Would look good in the company car park.:D

They are nice tyres honest,but getting out of a single track road up our hill would test the best of winter tyres.Although the local farmers Massey Fergusson has no trouble.Perhaps i could use that when the weather turns bad.Would look good in the company car park.:D

You would be surprised at the ability of winter tyres.....I drove up a steep single track road last year on snow in my C270 estate fitted with winter tyres and passed a 4x4 struggling, I assume, on summer tyres. My car had no problems getting up the hill.

I admit i'd never seen the point of them, but after reading more about them thanks to the many posts on here... I'm sold.

Ive got to get to gigs and loss of work over December is unthinkable, so winter tyres are being purchased.

On your own admission I'm absolutely certain that you couldn't possibly comment on the ability of winter tyres in whatever condition.
You are definitely in the minority.:doh:

I admit i'd never seen the point of them, but after reading more about them thanks to the many posts on here... I'm sold.

Ive got to get to gigs and loss of work over December is unthinkable, so winter tyres are being purchased.

:thumb:
You will not be disappointed my friend.

On your own admission I'm absolutely certain that you couldn't possibly comment on the ability of winter tyres in whatever condition.
You are definitely in the minority.:doh:
MMMM even the tyres on my previous pajero struggled to get out up the hill in 4wd low gear off road tyres so perhaps i can't comment.
It's only my opinion in that i cant see what all the fuss is about when we get about one week of snow.the minority i will stay and the all the best who change but its still not for me.:)

It's only my opinion in that i cant see what all the fuss is about when we get about one week of snow.the minority i will stay and the all the best who change but its still not for me.:)
Do I take it the entire point to this thread is that you're indifferent about winter tyres?

You should always buy the best possible tyres bearing in mind the car, driver and budget. The majority of tyres sold in the UK are best defined as summer-only tyres and as such are inappropriate during cold weather. The process you go through to choose your tyres is almost always a compromise and you have to suffer when the choice of tyre meets an extreme that it can't cope with, whether it's standing water, mud, snow or high-speed cornering.

There is no tyre that can do everything. For a lot of people that own high-performance or prestige cars this means a careful selection often ending up with two different tyres, one for use April-October and one November-March. These people demand as much precision and reliability from their tyres as they do their cars and why not?

The cost of a cheap set of rims is under £500. The cost of a set of winter tyres is effectively zero because you won't be wearing your summer tyres down during the winter months so prolonging their life and eventual replacement. If you look at it like that then it's a no-brainer! The additional safety and confidence you get with having the correct tyres on the car comes for free!

The thought of changing tyres in the winter is beyond me,my car has four nice tyres on it already which will do the job nicely.

For some people the thought of changing their tyres when the tread is worn down to 3mm is "beyond them", why change them before the legal limit?

Just accept that it's personal choice, some people take things much more seriously than others and some demand quality of a standard much higher than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom