Winter wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glyndawn

Car
mercedes c180
I have a E 220 with staggered wheels on im looking at getting a set of winter wheels

do these have to be staggered as well or can they be sale size all round

do i need to get the same wheel code

I have a E 220 with staggered wheels on im looking at getting a set of winter wheels

do these have to be staggered as well or can they be sale size all round

do i need to get the same wheel code
You can stick with the the same sizes (if available) or switch to a specific “winter” size which should be described in your car’s handbook.

Often manufacturers recommend winter tyres which are slightly narrower, and the same size all round - and usually the smallest diameter available.

according to book for my tyre size it says winter tyres 245/40/18 with offset code of 8.5 j x 18h2 et 48

will i need same offset code

according to book for my tyre size it says winter tyres 245/40/18 with offset code of 8.5 j x 18h2 et 48

will i need same offset code
Unless it states otherwise the offset (ET) will be the same front and rear.

On my summer tyres the os is
Fa 8.5jx18h2et48
Ra 9.0jx18h2et54

says for the winters ba 8.5jx18h2et48

the wheels ive seen are 8.0j x18

will these work

You don’t state what the offset is on the wheels you’ve seen - the ET number.

will these work
No idea. You need to know the offset (the ET number) as well as the width and diameter, but be aware that your insurer will probably take the attitude that if your chosen wheel dimensions are not listed as an approved fitment by MB then fitting them will be classed as a modification.

Just been debating whether to switch to my winter wheels on the 55 tbh, Weather is atm but the temps are still fairly high.

Just been debating whether to switch to my winter wheels on the 55 tbh, Weather is atm but the temps are still fairly high.
I always like to fit them in dry sunny weather sometime in October , that way if the weather is nice I can clean up the summer wheels and wax them for storage . It beats scrabbling round in freezing weather

I always like to fit them in dry sunny weather sometime in October , that way if the weather is nice I can clean up the summer wheels and wax them for storage . It beats scrabbling round in freezing weather
I’m doing the same this year. Do it before salting/gritting starts.

One of my cars still have winters on from last year because it’s been barely used over summer due to lockdown and holidays.

Winter wheels don't need to be staggered just because your summers are - as long as they are an approved configuration by MB they're fine.
On that subject, @nickpb are yours still available? Very interested if they are.

I'd be tempted to look at smaller rims than 18's for winter - don't know if your brake calipers will allow for 16's but 17's should fit, both the rims and the tyres will be cheaper than 18's, plus with more sidewall they'll soak up the bumps and potholes better than 18" rubber bands. I'd also suspect that 17" winter tyres for your car would be narrower, which is often mentioned as being better for winter tyres.

These days another option - if you're not somewhere that gets a lot of snow - is all weather tyres like Michelin Cross Climates (other brands like Nokian are available) - if they're available in your 18" spec. Saves purchase and storing of a second set of wheels/tyres, plus twice a year changing wheels. I'm a southern softie, currently have them (17" 225/45)) on the front of my S204, hoping Michelin come out with the size I need (235/40 R17) soon so I can fit them when I've worn the existing Eagle F1's out.

I'd be tempted to look at smaller rims than 18's for winter - don't know if your brake calipers will allow for 16's but 17's should fit, both the rims and the tyres will be cheaper than 18's, plus with more sidewall they'll soak up the bumps and potholes better than 18" rubber bands. I'd also suspect that 17" winter tyres for your car would be narrower, which is often mentioned as being better for winter tyres.

These days another option - if you're not somewhere that gets a lot of snow - is all weather tyres like Michelin Cross Climates (other brands like Nokian are available) - if they're available in your 18" spec. Saves purchase and storing of a second set of wheels/tyres, plus twice a year changing wheels. I'm a southern softie, currently have them (17" 225/45)) on the front of my S204, hoping Michelin come out with the size I need (235/40 R17) soon so I can fit them when I've worn the existing Eagle F1's out.
As I said on another thread, I have used (and really like) Cross Climates when I have been driving in mixed "British winter" conditions and would highly recommend them. However, if you often have hard winters or your local roads are not well gritted, then go for full winters.
Good luck whatever you choose and I will be interested to hear how you get on.

You'll only ever see the benefit of narrow tyres in snow when you're driving through tonnes of it - in which case i'd be fitting the chains, which would be of much more use at that point.

On my summer tyres the os is
Fa 8.5jx18h2et48
Ra 9.0jx18h2et54

says for the winters ba 8.5jx18h2et48

will these work
If you haven't bought your winters yet, mine are still for sale ;)

And will definitely fit and be comfier too:

50520017428_3c000eaede_o.png

:cool:

If you haven't bought your winters yet, mine are still for sale ;)

And will definitely fit and be comfier too:

50520017428_3c000eaede_o.png

:cool:
Sadly won't fit my car. Still hoping to hear from @nickpb if theirs are still available

Reactions: GLK
As I said on another thread, I have used (and really like) Cross Climates when I have been driving in mixed "British winter" conditions and would highly recommend them. However, if you often have hard winters or your local roads are not well gritted, then go for full winters.
Good luck whatever you choose and I will be interested to hear how you get on.
I’ve used Cross Climates too (on a Civic) and would also recommend them.

Winter wheels don't need to be staggered just because your summers are - as long as they are an approved configuration by MB they're fine.
On that subject, @nickpb are yours still available? Very interested if they are.
Sorry for the late reply - for some reason I didn't get notified and only just seen the message.

Yes, my wheels are still available. As you say, you do not have to have staggered wheels, and mine are from MB and approved for the car.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom