Wiper problem...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timskemp

MB Enthusiast
Car
W213 E220d
wipers.gif

Hopefully just a loose nut - but it's dark and wet out there so it's a tomorrow morning job.

yes looks like the nut has come loose... have you been using your wipers on an icy screen in the morning ;) ???

You're the second person that's asked me that - and no... I've not...

Leave it till the spring its only the passenger side :D

Can only be the nut or the linkage I would think - depends how easy it is to get at more than anything else.

I'm thinking of making that my avatar...

Nice GIF, what software did you use to convert video into it?

With these wraparound wipers, do MB use 2 motors, or is there a bell crank to offset one wiper from the other?

There's a subtlety in the design of these wipers which may not be imediately obvious, but, if the two wipers ran at the same speeds, they would cross and clash, so, one wipers needs to lag the other while they're close, and then speed up later in the cycle.

This speed variation can be done the expensive, but dull, way, by having 2 motors under computer control, or, the clever way by interposing a bell crank in the linkage to one wiper.

It's a fancy linkage that stops them meeting - passenger wiper moves vertically then sweeps round hard to the middle, when it's working - I'll get another video...

There is a complex passenger arm arrangement to create the correct sweep.

I suspect either the drive linkage has come apart or the active cam nut/spinidle has come apart.
B82120000146.1114.gif

There is a complex passenger arm arrangement to create the correct sweep.

I suspect either the drive linkage has come apart or the active cam nut/spinidle has come apart.
B82120000146.1114.gif

I showed that image to a friend of mine (who's into Alfas) - his response:

"Mercedes have over-engineered a solution to a problem that didn't exist....."

interstingly - I found this picture, which is subtly different

my.mycat

>>"Mercedes have over-engineered a solution to a problem that didn't exist....."

If the linkage is mirrored for LHD cars, then, yes, I would agree, but, if the linkage serves for both types, then, no, it is solving a real problem.

Of course, the best solution is to have one wiper, mounted in the lower edge middle of the screen, and a clever linkage to make the wiper sweep further into the corners. :)

If the linkage is mirrored for LHD cars, then, yes, I would agree, but, if the linkage serves for both types, then, no, it is solving a real problem.

This is Mercedes not BMW, they don't bodge LH wipers onto RHD cars.

Of course, the best solution is to have one wiper, mounted in the lower edge middle of the screen, and a clever linkage to make the wiper sweep further into the corners. :)

You mean like the panoramic wipers fitted to W201 and W124 models ?

>>You mean like the panoramic wipers...

Yes! It's one of my favourite featues on our W124.

At the cost of some complexity with the linkage, one type fits both LHD and RHD cars, and works equally well on either. So, the extra cost of the linkage compared with two parallel wipers is partially offset by the reduction in version and configuration control.

Be glad their research of the early seventies didn't go wrong- they'd looked into ultrasonic rain repelling, vibrating glass, air jets, all manner of ....uh.... "inventive" solutions to getting water off the screen.... and determined wipers work best. Another bullet dodged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom