Wiper troubles continued.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Replacement of the wiper motor has solved all my troubles, and it is now much better than before.

Worn bearings are believed to be the problem, but these are not available separately.

Luckily for me, this was all done no quible under my waranty.

Thank you (x99)

:bannana: Thanks for this info, just completed this procedure to cure the fault which developed on my car last night during the rain, namely the wiper almost grinding to a halt whilst covering the upper extremities. now it has returned to it's beautifully smooth operation. special thanks to koolvin for reposting the link to the website (incase it failed) (which it did)..

Wiper cover doesn't come off.

I've got a 1988 - 2.5 -190D (M201) with 440,000Km. I wanted to do the little repair as suggested in this thread to fix my wiper which has worked faithfully the last 16 years - until recently. However, I can't get the cover on the bottom of the wiper off. I have taken the entire wiper assembly out to access the 5 screws on the bottom of the base plate, which I have taken out as well.

I have also located the 2 small holes on the bottom/front of the base plate, but can't find any catches in there. What is visible in there looks like part of the oil stop ring at the exterior of the bushing. Whatever I have done so far, the cover won't budge.
Any suggestions?

To my recollection, the holes on either side, don't actually provide any assistance, other than showing you the best place to pull at the cover, for me it was a matter of pulling at the cover with an allen key, think of the action of pulling the lid off a tub of pringles. it's not really a matter of levering, just pulling it over the notches, find the holes, and pull at the cover where it's nearest to those holes. i don't know if this helps, but i hope it does.

Notches?

Thanks for your response Cricheq.
So you're saying that the cover is held to the base plate by a numer of notches? It makes sense, because there's nothing else visible. It looks like as if the original assembly was done by a whack of a rubber hammer at the front, followed by tightening the screws on the back. (hence the notches) My problem is that I don't want to damage/break anything and prying an allen wrench into the small gap between cover and base plate may do just that, but I hear you loud and clear.
(It shows already some signs from my earlier attempts.)
Your suggestion would also mean that I could try to pry the cover off from the rear side forwards, where the screws are located - starting from where the screws have given some way...
Do you remember where those notches are located and how many there are? And: do they break easily?
Thanks again.

No Notches, but hidden screws

Turns out that the wiper cover is held by 2 screws that are hidden under the base plate. The base plate comes off by taking the nut (and the catch, i.e. a ring that has about 1/3 missing, so that it can be pushed into a groove in the axle to hold a bushing in place) off the axle that sits at the underside of the wiper assembly.
After taking the catch off, there are several metal -and "O" rings to take away, the baseplate comes off only in the middle position of the wiper. Once the base plate is off, the 2 screws that hold the cover are accessible.

I found this out the hard way and that is the reason I am posting this message. On my search for the illusive catches, I tried to pry the cover off and caused unnecesssary damage to the same. I should have listened to my former mechanic, who said in similar situations: "It's a Mercedes and it's German, so it should come apart easily. If it doesn't you're doing something wrong".

For those who are interested in an inside view of this particular wiper assembly I will put some pictures into a new thread.

BTW: It turned out that the slowdown in the movement of the wipers was not caused by a lack of lubricant in the mechanism, but a loss of power in the wiper motor. :)

My wiper has just stopped mid-arc! :(

Needs to be fixed tonight because not only does it make my car undrivable but it will fail it's MOT on saturday I imagine! :(

Time to find the toolbox...

The wiper makes it fully to the other side of the windscreen then on the way back gets stuck at the top, motor grinds away for a further 5 seconds then it gives up.

Is this lubrication issues or something else? If I pull on the wiper a little in the direction it was going it clicks then continues as normal.

now to find some grease!

this view might be familiar to some people by now...

Attachments

• wipermech.jpg
    wipermech.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 214
purely in the realm of opinion, it sounds more like a fault with the motor, as the lubrication issue still allows the wiper blade to move freely once it's past the start position. the clicking sounds a little ominous. hope the lube allows a little relief for now.

Cricheq said:
purely in the realm of opinion, it sounds more like a fault with the motor, as the lubrication issue still allows the wiper blade to move freely once it's past the start position. the clicking sounds a little ominous. hope the lube allows a little relief for now.
I've lubricated it with some petroleum jelly but it's made no difference. It's actually catching somewhere.

Car booked in for Monday at a local bosch service garage.

Meanwhile I'm about to do 80 miles round trip to work with no wiper, wish me luck everyone! :rolleyes:

GrahamC230K said:
From here with the wiper running, I could see the linkages moving about. I used WD-40 (it fixes everything right?) to lubriacte all the moving joints.

What an excellent, informative thread.

My contribution which might be open to criticism is PLEASE do not use WD40 as a 'long term' lubricant. It is okay for freeing seized, or 'stiff' parts, but once these parts have been sparayed with WD40 and loosened. I would recommend cleaning and then using either grease or silicon based oil.

Okay, over to the experts for more professional advice.

John

good luck, and perhaps some of that rain-x type liquid would provide some relief if you need to use in the mean time.? just a thought.

Cricheq said:
good luck, and perhaps some of that rain-x type liquid would provide some relief if you need to use in the mean time.? just a thought.
The mechanic I spoke to said that there is something catching in the mechanism somewhere. He said the motor sounds fine though. He also said that although he's had quite a few MBs in with a faulty wiper he has only had to replace a couple of parts, mostly they can be fixed. He did say that the wiper mech is seriously expensive.

I will check the EPC later and price up every component.

glojo said:

My contribution which might be open to criticism is PLEASE do not use WD40 as a 'long term' lubricant. It is okay for freeing seized, or 'stiff' parts, but once these parts have been sparayed with WD40 and loosened. I would recommend cleaning and then using either grease or silicon based oil.

John
I'm by no means an expert but for what's it worth I totally agree with you John. WD40 is good for a short term temporary fix but it can't replace using a good quality high viscosity grease when needed.

*EDIT*
Shude said:
...He did say that the wiper mech is seriously expensive.

He ain't kidding :( I suggest you remain seated when checking and totalling the prices.

S.

Last edited:
glojo said:

John

I couldn't agree more. WD is a really good solvent, great for unseizing things and getting shoe polish off the kitchen worktops etc (oops!!), but it's not a lubricant. In fact its pretty much the opposite.

nickmann said:
I couldn't agree more. WD is a really good solvent, great for unseizing things and getting shoe polish off the kitchen worktops etc (oops!!), but it's not a lubricant. In fact its pretty much the opposite.

Its actualy a very good degreaser. It does a great job of getting ground in oil off your hands ;) Duck oil is a much better lube IMHO.

Anyway, i tried to get the cover of my 1990 190 wiper mechanism today useing the text that Koolvin posted and found that mine has a screw that holds the bottom in place. I managed to undo the screw but it was still held on at the top and wouldnt budge :mad: I didnt want to force it to much incase i broke the cover or did some internal damage. Can anyone please tell me how to get the cover off?? Is it held on by another screw at the top?

cheers,

Stu

Shude said:
The mechanic I spoke to said that there is something catching in the mechanism somewhere. He said the motor sounds fine though. He also said that although he's had quite a few MBs in with a faulty wiper he has only had to replace a couple of parts, mostly they can be fixed. He did say that the wiper mech is seriously expensive.

And another quick thing. Why are they so exspensive?? When you see the pics of the insides, they are bloody simple?? A couple of rods and a shaft :confused:

Stu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom