Wiper troubles continued.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Motor is stuffed.

The Bosch service place have got me a new one for £165, oem part. Not sure about fitting price but it shouldn't be too expensive, remove two pieces of trim and you're looking at the motor.

Looking forward to getting the car back!

Collected the car from the garage and it's home now, wiper works fine.

No doubt sometime this week a bill will roll in for the work.

Motor is the best you could have hoped for really - the cheaper part.

Simple things please simple minds

My wife showed me the seized wiper on her W202 C230K this morning. Said she'd noticed it getting slower and sometimes sticking for a few months but didn't bother mentioning.
Tried to have a quick look at the motor but just couldn't see how to get any covers off. I had a sinking feeling that there was going to be an expensive end to this.

But then! I thought I'd check the web for ideas b4 wading in with a sledgehammer. Found this thread followed the tips from Simon and Graham and... got covers off intact in seconds! Regreaded linkages reassembled - wipers now work perfect! THANKS GUYS. I'm well chuffed.

The only thing I would add to make the description of how to get that pesky base cover off is that on my (1999) model C230K there is one molded lip or tab on each side of the cover holding it onto the metal chassis of the wiper base. I used a small allen key to gently pull the plastic cover a bit at that point to release it. Only had to do one side 'cos once that was free the cover fell loose anyway. The two holes on each side underneath the metal body at 5 and 7 o'clock are not to do with releasing the cover but they do show you where to pull the plastic cover to release the tab - midway between the 2 holes. The cover just snaps back on when finished.

Hope that adds something for anybody else attempting this.

Bruce.

Hi All

I had the 'dragging wiper' symptom but failed to diagnose the problem correctly until it was too late.

The wiper motor is very tough as is the linkage between motor and wiper gearbox. The 'weak links' are the two gearboxes, one attached to the output of the motor, the other at the base of the wiper arm. Both use nylon gear components. The gearboxes are sealed-for-life units.

When the wiper arm 'appears' to drag or stops mid wipe, the problem is almost certainly the slider mechanism that permits the wiper to reach into the corners of the windscreen. It is either on the point of seizing or has seized. The seizure places additional stress on the wiper drive components and either the motor gearbox or wiper gearbox fails: stripped gears!!!

The wiper motor costs about GBP250.00 and the wiper drive linkage and wiper arm gearbox (single unit) costs about GBP400.00.

Both are easy to fit - about 60 to 90 minutes - by a competent home mechanic.

If you ignore odd wiper behaviour the costs of repair can be horrendous. A little grease applied early enough to the slider mechanism, particularly the center large sliding rod, will prevent you taking out a second mortgage. I should know, it happened to me. I had an indie replace my wiper motor recently for almost GBP290.00.

The dealers are advised by MB to replace BOTH items to prevent future failures because both gearboxes are likely to be damaged. A total bill of GBP800.00 (labour included) is fairly typical for this kind of repair.

Now if only the gearboxes were made of a more durable material!

My thanks go to those members who provided the excellent photographs and the description of how to remove the cover of the wiper arm slider assembly.

WD40 is a 'get-you-home' solution only. Regreasing the slider mechanism is the only lasting solution.

REGARDS Phil

Hi guys,

My old 230K came back to me today with the wiper hitting the nearside windscreen surround, anyway i took off the covers and greased all but still it hits the winscreen surround.
The wiper parks itself in the proper place and runs fine when in the "up" position it just seems to telescopic out at the wrong time. As a result it telescopics out and hits the windscreen surround.
Is there any adjustment in the telescopic action?

Thanks in advance

Your wiper has gone out of synchronisation for one of two reasons, either the nut on the back of the gearbox has slackened allowing the link from the motor to the gearbox to move slightly or the nylon gear inside the gearbox has slipped on it's shaft. Either way the full motor/gearbox assembly will have to come out for repair. Put in a search for "wiper" and you should find plenty of threads on this subject as it is a regular problem. Good luck.
Geo.

Hi guys,

My old 230K came back to me today with the wiper hitting the nearside windscreen surround, anyway i took off the covers and greased all but still it hits the winscreen surround.
The wiper parks itself in the proper place and runs fine when in the "up" position it just seems to telescopic out at the wrong time. As a result it telescopics out and hits the windscreen surround.
Is there any adjustment in the telescopic action?

Thanks in advance

Did you get this resolved? My wiper is sweeping fine...but is not move in and out...so it will pound itself along the trim on each side of the window.

I have the whole unit out....but cannot get the last screw out the holds the in and out mechanism.....there must be a way to get it apart...any one done it?

Did you get this resolved?

Hi

I got it resolved by cutting an inch off the wiper blade, i had sold the car about a year previously and the guy asked me would i make a quick fix on it for him. I think it is like this to this day.

Regards,

Well, I spent several hours working on mine...and got it resolved. I had to take the unit completly apart and remove the small gear and shaft that moves the wiper arm in and out. This gear is plastic and pressed onto a metal shaft...and the gear was slipping on the shaft. So I put the whole peice in my drill press and drilled a small hole thru the hear and thru the shaft....then I pressed in an small roll pin. This locked the gear to the shaft and kept it from turning on the shaft. Then I reassembled the unit...having to tac weld the control arm onto the shaft as it had to be drilled to be removed. After allot of tedious work, I got it fixed and working again. I think it will last this time....we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom