Wipers are driving me mad...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

et0609

Car
E350d
A few weeks ago I replaced my wiper blades with proper MB ones. I then applied RainX (i know, bad mistake), it says that RainX can be applied to a windscreen, however my new blades have never worked correctly. Im not sure whether this is due to the RainX or not.

The are squeaking in all types of rain, and juddering across the screen. Most opinions put it down to the RainX so I have tried to remove it, but I still have the same problem. Im not entirely sure whether the RainX is still on there.

Ive tried a glass cutter, soapy water, lighter fluid, but still have the problem.

Any tips for sorting this??

Washer fluid?

As in, what are you using, I find overuse makes the wipers squeak.

You may need to change the blades again as they could be contaminated with RainX

I used Rain-X. Once. The work of the Devil, I tell thee.

If properly applied to an uber-clean screen and with new wipers it works OK but should you stop using it degrades over time. Stop retreating or try to remove it then a brick starts to seem like an attractive option.

It can produce a hideous mess and is really difficult to remove. In the end I got it off by polishing the screen numerous times with Autoglym Glass Polish using many paper towels each time. If you use the same cloth or towel throughout some of it sticks on the surface and just moves it around. Gaaahh!

Yes rainex causes problems with MB wipers I think there may be something about it in the manual. Try cleaning the blades and the screen with glass polish. This helped a lot when I made the same mistake:doh:

I did mine too , but it wears off. Bear with it with plenty of washer fluid to keep the windscreen lubed.

I love it on the side windows , but the windscreen is a step too far. I forget every time. Ah well .. :)

The current blades should be fine.

Infected glass (as I commonly refer to RainX) is just as dangerous as a cracked or chipped screen in wet weather.

I got so fed up with smeary noisy wipers after using RainX a few years ago that I put a hammer through the screen and got a replacement for £60 from my insurance company.

My neighbours must have thought I was mad...I spend the afternoon detailing the car to perfection then calmly appeared from my garage with a hammer, walked round to the front of the car and took a big firm swipe at the screen! :eek:

Try Halfords intensive screen cleaner to remove it. Never had much luck with it either, dammed stuff.

only takes a few weeks to wear off tho , screen will be back to normal in a month tops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom