Wipers/indicators stopped working

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Iain, May 10, 2014.

1. Iain

Iain Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK230k ML270cdi
    I have a 2001 my CLK 230. Last weekend on the drive back from Caister the wipers and indicators stopped working.
    Not very good with electrics so I thought I might enlist the help of other more knowledgeable on here. I have checked all fuses/connections but all ok. However when removing and wiggling the turquoise plug from the wipers they began to work sporadically. I then began to believe that there may be a problem with sam unit which sits underneath. This has now been replaced but the problem still exists.
    Has anybody else encountered something similar?

2. Dec

Dec Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180,A.
    Was the failure immediate and in all speeds or was the failure intermittent?
    Will the windscreen washer/squirt work?
    Any history of the wiper blade failing to park at the bottom of the windscreen when the wiper switch is turned OFF to 0 position?

It could be something else but the stalk switch is a suspect, you can open it up, and with the ignition on, operate the switch so as to inspect and observe its action, perhaps spray the circuit board with switch cleaner.

Note that unlike the older wiper switch, the end cap doesn’t come off, rather the written part of the switch is pulled to the right, a very strong thumb grip is required to open it, the use of any metal tools to pry it open will damage the soft plastic switch. Mark the 3 parts of the switch with tape so as to put it back the same way it came apart.
    Old type of wiper switch… Wiper has started working on it's own - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

Further pictures here… intermittent rain sensor - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

[​IMG]

Do you have the same relay set up as in pictured below?

[​IMG]

Dec

Edit; just re-read your post, I missed that you said the indicators have also failed.
    The indicators not working does strengthen the case that the fault is with the stalk.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Iain

Iain Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK230k ML270cdi
    Dec.
    Many thanks for your reply.
    I have just come back the workshop after a bit of testing and have come to the same conclusion as you. I have, under a bit of guidance, power probed the wipers and found them to be working perfectly. Didn't bother with indicators as the hazard side of things also works. So the common denominator is the stalk. I've ordered one from the bay of E and will report back. Thanks again:thumb:

4. Dec

Dec Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180,A.
    It’s hard to diagnose what’s at fault on these more modern cars without plugging into a computer, the stalk, as the source of the fault is still only a guess.

When it arrives from eBay, plug the replacement stalk into the wiring loom/plug under the steering wheel so as to test it before you fit it to the steering column, just in case that it’s not the stalk that’s at fault.
    See the below video at timr line 13:52… not your car, but same idea.

[YOUTUBE HD]w7BCiztRuoU[/YOUTUBE HD]

Dec