Wire size for plugin home charger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

serenity

Car
E350e 2017
What should be the wire size for the supplied home charger at various Amps because at my house I can have the dedicated wire installed but when I plug it into unknown wall sockets I want to be careful so I can select a lower Amp setting on the charger:

1) 8A (Will a 1mm wire suffice)
2)12A (Will a 1.5mm wire suffice)
3) 16A (Will a 2.5mm wire suffice)

Attached is a pic of my chargerimage0.jpeg

Usually its a 30a fuse for the ring main so should do

Are you talking about the low voltage or higher voltage side? If you are dealing with the 240v side the current will be around 1.5A and (dependant on length) any of the cable cross sectional areas would handle that. Obviously the longer you go bigger is better to reduce the effect of volt drop, but at 1.5 A it should not be a factor. If in doubt go big. (Or replicated the cable hard wired to the charger, I am sure they considered the suitability)

Are you talking about the low voltage or higher voltage side? If you are dealing with the 240v side the current will be around 1.5A and (dependant on length) any of the cable cross sectional areas would handle that. Obviously the longer you go bigger is better to reduce the effect of volt drop, but at 1.5 A it should not be a factor. If in doubt go big. (Or replicated the cable hard wired to the charger, I am sure they considered the suitability)
I am taking about 220v side
The charger is like 16A how does it equate to 1.5A.
so to be sure a 1.5mm 220v wire would handle a 16A charger?

I seem to recall that the OP is resident in Jordan. Accordingly regulations are likely to be different.

I think the OP should rely on local advice from a qualified electrician.

NJSS

I seem to recall that the OP is resident in Jordan. Accordingly regulations are likely to be different.

I think the OP should rely on local advice from a qualified electrician.

NJSS
I am more interested in standard sizing knowledge.
We don't have regulations in Jordan regarding EVs yet
We use 220v so just after wire sizing so to see if I am around acceptable range

1) 8A (Will a 1mm wire suffice)
2)12A (Will a 1.5mm wire suffice)
3) 16A (Will a 2.5mm wire suffice)

Irrespective of voltage, yes to all 3 with a good safety margin provided the cables are surface mounted and not buried in insulation.

WATTS=VOLTS X AMPS - whats your supply voltage and is it subject to drop at high demand ?---- and the voltage operating range of the charger.[ should be on the rear of the charger]- typically they are rated at 2.3KW. Anecdotal evidence would indicate prolonged high current demand for many hours may prove too much for worn OLDER 3pin plugs/sockets-----always overate such setups to avoid localised overheating.

I am taking about 220v side
The charger is like 16A how does it equate to 1.5A.
so to be sure a 1.5mm 220v wire would handle a 16A charger?
I hadn't noticed that you were talking about an EV charger, thought you meant a charger for 12v battery (I have no idea what voltage a plug in hybrid charges at). Please ignore my post, apologies.

As said for us in the UK to advise on Jordan wiring is a big ask.
The current capability of any cable is dependant on max rating of the cable correction factors then applied. Those factors can be due to various external influences.

But that charger you picture isn't going to consume 16A from a 220v main. That is 3.5Kw and would melt it due to the current passing through it.

You really need to detail the charger specification for us to understand the primary currents going into it.

Generally, in the UK, if it's designed to plug in it cannot exceed 13A as that's the max fuse rating of a plug top.
A small charger will still not draw 13A as that would still melt it.
Imagine the heat of a hair dryer within that charger.

Clarification needed. Is this charging the 12v battery or the traction (high voltage) battery?
The charger shown looks the be a CTEK variant for 12v batteries

Irrespective of voltage, yes to all 3 with a good safety margin provided the cables are surface mounted and not buried in insulation.
Most of the length is inside wall piping

As said for us in the UK to advise on Jordan wiring is a big ask.
The current capability of any cable is dependant on max rating of the cable correction factors then applied. Those factors can be due to various external influences.

But that charger you picture isn't going to consume 16A from a 220v main. That is 3.5Kw and would melt it due to the current passing through it.

You really need to detail the charger specification for us to understand the primary currents going into it.

Generally, in the UK, if it's designed to plug in it cannot exceed 13A as that's the max fuse rating of a plug top.
A small charger will still not draw 13A as that would still melt it.
Imagine the heat of a hair dryer within that charger.
Makes perfect sense
So a 2.5mm wire (at input side) should handle lets say a 16A charger (at output side)

Clarification needed. Is this charging the 12v battery or the traction (high voltage) battery?
The charger shown looks the be a CTEK variant for 12v batteries
This is a plugin hybrid to charge the electric motor lithium batteries at home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom