Wireless Charger and NFC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickGLE350DE

Car
E220d SE - Premium Plus W213
So I have my new W213, and surprised it turned up without wireless charging. Checked configurator and low and behold, now its shown as a £250 option - with all the marketing vids and stuff, it came across as a base feature to me.

I wondered what the real value of the charging pad and its NFC chip actually is. I can easily create a nice little pad to fit the space with an of the shelf wireless charger but what does the NFC add here and could that be done with a NFC chip that I add in.

I have the Bluetooth hooked up, works very well, but Android needs the USB socket. Does the NFC enable wireless android auto connectivity?

All and any help appreciated:cool:

If in the configurator (at least in the Belgian one) you click the option prep for smartphone key, you also have to get the charging stuff with it. So if figure it is a bit more involved than a charging pad.

Still expensive though. Especially since the smart phone as key is at this point very limited since iPhones can't use it because Apple refuses to participate and limits it's NFC chip in the phone to the Wallet feature.

As far as I understand, the NFC does nothing to enable wireless android auto connectivity ...

NFC would be the trigger to launch Android Auto I would expect.

When the phone detects the NFC tag it can be made to do many things. The Mercedes Me app for example could then be triggered to do certain things.

Wireless charging is quite slow compared to wired, so often not the best solution if the phone is busy doing other things such as Android Auto.

Thanks for replies 400ixl and Rakth. I did wonder if the NFC thing was pretty redundant. I have BT setup already, and my own charging pad from last car which can be modded to fit the space easily - Android Auto can be set up to start when connected to MBBluetooth (part of the Android Auto app settings) so sounds like as little DIY charging pad will do the trick

I used a Samsung charging pad mounted on a Brodit cradle in the E250, and could use TOMTOM for Android (for speed cameras) and maintain charge levels (but not of course add charge) - if not TOMTOM it charged very well

Still expensive though. Especially since the smart phone as key is at this point very limited since iPhones can't use it because Apple refuses to participate and limits it's NFC chip in the phone to the Wallet feature.

I don't see Apple limiting NFC and smart phone as a car key. There are many other brands available to choose, much easier than trying to select the car to match your iPhone. If they do not want to cooperate, make your conclusions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom