Wireless n/g dual band router recommendations ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
Anybody got any favourites ?

Currently using a Belkin G spec router but both the new iMac and iPad2 are 'n' compatible. Kids lappies are still 'g' spec so dual band seems the no-brainer.

Open to suggestion ... :eek:

Netgear Rangemax has multiple antennae for good signal and also supports b/g/n connections. I have an ADSL one sat on the shelf now that I have fibre to my house.

Is that Billion unit 'and' or 'or' with respect to n/g applications ?

The link would suggest it's an 'n' spec with 'g' compatibility which would mean 'or' and cause networking issues if two devices of differing requirements shared the connection.

I can't imagine its an or, certainly having no issues although I'm not sure if any of my devices are 'n, in any case.

It's running faster broadband out of e box then the broadband router and you can adjust settings to go faster, although this may disrupt reliability.

I've used Billions and they are fine, but I recommend DrayTek stuff.

Their Vigor routers are great and they do dual band stuff.

We have an Apple Airport Express and it's much better than the Belin it has replaced.

If you to connect anything with a cable though you need an Apple Airport Extreme - I have one too for the alarm interface and controls for lights, sockets, etc.

Had a look at the Draytek 2830 plus model (Here) as it seems to be one of the few Drayteks that offer the dual n/g facility that I want.

It's about £100 more expensive than the Apple Airport Extreme that will do the same thing.

Is there any reason why I should not consider the Airport Extreme ?

Last edited:
First question has to be who your ISP is.

Matching the chipset in your modem with the gear used by your ISP at the exchange can make a big difference.

The likes of O2, Be and Sky use Alcatel kit in the exchange so something with a Broadcom chipset will get the best results.

Right now THIS is probably one ot the best performing Broadcom based routers out there (and it's quite good with the the other ISPs as well).

The user interface is not the best but you only use that once and then forget so not a deal breaker.

I have had one of these now for over a year and it is rock solid (currently showing 204 days uptime)

Don't let the price fool you. There is a reason why these guys are the biggest supplier of ADSL modems on the planet.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark.

My current ISP is BT.

EDIT : That looks incredible value for money - does the TP Link unit offer compatibility for my existing 'g' spec units ?

Last edited:
Thanks Mark.

My current ISP is BT.

EDIT : That looks incredible value for money - does the TP Link unit offer compatibility for my existing 'g' spec units ?

Yes it runs B/G/N so whatever you have.

Look at the Amazon reviews as well. I really can't recommend this unit highly enough. It really makes you wonder how some manufacturers can charge £150 for these things.

PS

I have had this conversation before on here and the last person I recommended this to was rather impressed

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/pc-i...s/120933-gigabit-router.html?highlight=router

Last edited:
Just ordered it and it should be here during the week.

Cannot go wrong at sub £40.

Router duly arrived and installed last night.

Said nothing to SWMBO other than she would need to choose a new connection and gave her the details and the password.

Came home from work and she's noticed an improvement so no placebo effect.

Weirdly, the results from speedtest.net are still very similar.

Yes it runs B/G/N so whatever you have.

Look at the Amazon reviews as well. I really can't recommend this unit highly enough. It really makes you wonder how some manufacturers can charge £150 for these things.

PS

I have had this conversation before on here and the last person I recommended this to was rather impressed

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/pc-i...s/120933-gigabit-router.html?highlight=router

Yep, and still am :thumb: Although I run it in n-only mode, all my devices function perfectly - MBAir, MBPro, HP colour laser, Apple TV, iPads and iPhones ... even an old Linux box I use for NAS :bannana: Plus the ADSL connection has improved too. Really grateful for the suggestion - not something I would have chosen myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom