wireless networking ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pepe

Car
c250 td 1998
Hi,
Is it possible to link my 2 desktop pc's via a wireless router ? I use blueyonder broadband and was looking at the linksys etherfast access point model. could go the wired route but if i can do it without having to lay cables to other room so much the better. if i can do this wirelessly what would i need to connect to the other pc for it to communicate and once done does this mean the two pc's could both use my internet connection at the same time (As you can see i dont know anything about this)
thanks in advance.

Im on Blueyonder and have connected three machines via a Draytek Vigor 2200w+
One is via wireless usb link and the other via a linksys wireless pci adaptor.
even with all three on line there is no loss of speed. I also networked all three pcs to share files. Quiker than burning and copying.

no need for a wireles router - just set it as n ad-hoc setup... slower (a bit) but for two pcs its no different

A wireless router would save you having to run cables (and they are pretty cheap now). Also saves one PC having to be switched on all the time to share the connection with the second PC.

Hi, as Guy said, you wouldn't actually need a wireless router, so long as both machines had a wireless LAN card in them and the one that connected to the internet was always on.

You can get 4port ADSL modem switches now with wireless for around £100, plus the cost of the wireless card for your machine though some are bundled. Take a look at www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk. I bought mine through them and the delivery was good and there's alot of support info plus bulletin boards.

Depending on your paranoia/interest/IT talent you may want to get rather knowledgeable in order to maintain a reasonable level of security. If you're not worried about your neighbours or passers by using your broadband or sniffing your wireless traffic then don't worry. Otherwise you'll need to set up your encryption etc etc. I work in IT (not networking) and it takes a little time to get your head around the external and internal network concepts. Then you have to consider which service packs e.g. XP SP2 enables WPA aswell as WEP and so on....

In summary the wireless router is the best bet (you can still connect by ethernet) for a local machine, but it is also the most complex. Good luck

cheers Sam :eek:

thanks for your replies. once set up would both pcs be able to use the internet at the same time ? If i get wireless cards for both pcs is that all id need ? where does the modem switcher come into it ? thanks in advance. :confused:

I have just set up a wireless/Ethernet network with an ASDL modem with built in wireless router, connected to a desktop by Ethernet and to a laptop via a wireless notebook network card, bought from Belkin, the reason I went this way was my freeserve modem had a USB connection and I couldn't find a router that could accept it.. You need to connect a modem to the router if you want to go on line with either PC turned off, if you use a network with one PC having the built in modem connection, then that PC has to be on whichever PC you want to use to go on line. I am a bit of a Luddite when it comes to working these things out, but Belkin offer a free-phone number for guidance on what you need and then free tech help to set it up, also you get a manufacturer's lifetime warranty on all their products

pepe said:
thanks for your replies. once set up would both pcs be able to use the internet at the same time ? If i get wireless cards for both pcs is that all id need ? where does the modem switcher come into it ? thanks in advance. :confused:

If you get a wireless ADSL router then this is effectively the “modem switcher”. You will need to get wireless network cards for the PC’s and set them up to use the router IP as the gateway and then they can both use the Internet at the same time. Setting up a network with a router can be a bit tricky but it gives you the best speed and security from the Internet perspective, as none of your computers are visible on the Internet, which is thanks to NAT. As mentioned by Sam, the wireless security will need to be set-up to make sure neighbours don’t have access to your private network.
So all you need is two wireless network cards for the PC’s and a wireless ADSL router and maybe an ADSL filter but you probably already have that. Make sure it is an ADSL router so that it plugs straight into the filter / BT socket.

Im on blueyonder so my internet connection is through the coax cable from telewest not a phone line, does this make a difference to what i need ? so far i realise i need two wireless pc cards and i assume the router ?

Im on blueyonder so my internet connection is through the coax cable from telewest not a phone line, does this make a difference to what i need ? so far i realise i need two wireless pc cards and i assume the router ?

Ah! Yes. In that case you will probably want to keep the blueyonder modem and go for a non-ADSL router that will connect to it or use the PC as the gateway and forget the router altogether. Windows XP (and if I remember correctly 98 and Me) are quite easy to set-up to share a modem but that PC will need to be on all the time.
How do you currently connect the modem to your PC?

pepe said:
you could look HERE this explains how to set up a Blueyonder network

just use a wireless router instead of ethernet

Last edited:
pepe said:
This is the thing i was originally looking at on ebuyer.com. If i have this on my main pc do i just need the one wireless pci card for my second pc ?
It certainly looks that way. The spec says it has a four port switch so you can connect up to 4 PC’s directly to it using cables, wireless access point to connect multiple PC’s with wireless cards in and the router port to connect to your cable modem (using Ethernet).
As mentioned in the link Jimti posted you may have to register the MAC address of the router with Blueyonder but it does appear hat the router is able to do MAC cloning. The link http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=601 will provide more details of the router including a link to the manual in PDF format.
Hope that helps.

Wireless network

jimti said:
you could look HERE this explains how to set up a Blueyonder network

just use a wireless router instead of ethernet
With Blueyonder you no longer have to register your mac address just reset the whole unit and wait twenty mins

Cool, thanks guys , ordered and now on its way !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom