Wireless Printer Wanted (Reccomendations please)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks, as the title says.

I currently have an HP Officejet 4500 bought via another posting on this very forum. It didn't last too long before it started blurry printing, paper jamming, dropping connection and being a general pain in the rear. As with all computers it has been trained to behave perfectly when not required. It will only ever fail when you absolutely depend on it to print the most simple of jobs (usually the most important to you). This results in irrational threats of violence from me to the printer and then towards members of family who are silly enough to suggest that I should "calm down". I know it hates me and is waging a personal vendetta against me. Probably for purchasing some non-HP cartridges in an effort to not have to re-mortgage the family home simply because I need to print something.

Can anybody please recommend or sell me a reliable decent quality wireless printer/scanner that can do things like - PRINT.

We do print off the occasional photo so being good at that would be a bonus.

We are an Apple household (not that this should make a difference) but it will be driven by Macbooks.

We had exactly the same experiences recently and bought an Epson XP425. Had it a month with zero problems.....

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Our Canon MG series all-in-one (now about 18 months old) works very well with Apple BUT is very ink-hungry so would not recommend on that basis.

Our new Canon MG6450 didn't come with an ADF - Auto Doc Feeder which has proved to be a backward step and a mistake on my part, as every printer we've ever had has had one :(.

£80ish price point.

It's worth checking.

Last edited:
Our Canon MG series all-in-one (now about 18 months old) works very well with Apple BUT is very ink-hungry so would not recommend on that basis.

As above fantastic performance and quality but eats ink. I'm sticking with it though as the ink is not that dear. Out of all the brands I have had over the Last 20 years the cannon seems the most reliable depends on your volume of printing and if you can live with the ink costs

Last edited:
Thank you for the fast responses.

Does the Canon MG6450 have to be hard wired to the router? My HP does and that makes it messy around the house.

Have a HP ENVY 4502 all in one that replaced the HP in the original posting, so far has been very good and works well with iPhone and iPad Air . The inks are well priced . Have had no problems connected with laptops over WiFi . :thumb:

In my home office I have always used oki laser printers. I do a lot of printing and my current one I have had a faultless performance for the past 2 years. It is a oki 342 wireless but I don't use that feature.

It might be a little expensive but it's really is faultless in every respect. I scan packs of 20 sheets of 100gsm paper on a regular basis. The oki does this via its auto feed quickly and with no jamming.

In my home office I have always used oki laser printers. I do a lot of printing and my current one I have had a faultless performance for the past 2 years. It is a oki 342 wireless but I don't use that feature.

It might be a little expensive but it's really is faultless in every respect. I scan packs of 20 sheets of 100gsm paper on a regular basis. The oki does this via its auto feed quickly and with no jamming.

Could I ask what you think of the toner lifetime and pricing?

I have my printers connected via ethernet to TimeCapsule - that makes them wireless for all intent and purpose, while still providing reliable networked printer operation. A few years ago I tried a couple of wi-fi enabled printers and had serious concerns as to reliability and security ...

I have a Hp Deskjet F4580 two inks at £20 the pair .
I can say i have had no problems what so ever after 6 years of faithfull service .I only use original ink, the paper is from any place i see it for sale. So my next one will be another HP ...

Thank you for the fast responses.

Does the Canon MG6450 have to be hard wired to the router? My HP does and that makes it messy around the house.

Our MG6150 doesn't; it is a completely wireless connection and stands in a rack with the iPod bass box thingy the other side of the room to the router.

Stick with a big name like Canon or Hp and you can't really go wrong, just go for the best deal. One thing I would say though is go for one which is Cloud Print compatible as this will give you the option of USB printing, and Wifi printing and errr Cloud Printing straight from Google Drive, Dropbox, etc and offers the most flexibility.

Could I ask what you think of the toner lifetime and pricing?

Toner life is actually fairly good and I print in colour all the time. I purchase non oki toner from a company called stinkyink.com

We sell a lot of HP printers of all sizes and they are generally good, both InkJet and Mono/Colour Laser.

I am quite impressed with Epson InkJets recently, and would recommend them for home use.

Almost all have a wireless option these days.

Hope this helps.

I've had HP for years but have become unimpressed by there continual problems and poor build quality, turned to Canon but encountered paper feed problems.

I'm now an Epson fan with the L-355 ecotanks, no way could I afford to run anything else, even Laser and have to to experience any problems with two of them.

The L355 is expensive to purchase compared to others but at the moment the cheapest to run..

Last edited:
I had trouble with wireless printers. I suspect it is because so many other devices in house are wireless/wifi etc.
I now use one of those mains Ethernet adapters. One end goes in hub. Printer connects via mains anywhere else in the house, using the same mains socket as the printer, so no cables running round house. I find this works brilliantly.

Neil

Another Oki fan here. My Laser was very expensive 6 years ago, but still works without flaws. Much cheaper now of course.

We've got a Laserjet 100 color MFP and it's a great bit of kit. Had it several years and it just sits in the corner minding it's own business until someone needs it, comes out of standby and prints the page by the time you can get to it. We print from Mac and Windows as well as a multitude of Android devices.

Great quality, toner lasts forever with normal use and build quality is great. Keep an eye out for HP's regular cash back offers and you should be able to get one for a sensible price, got mine for about £125 all in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom