Wireless speaker for iPad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Mrs S, who is now welded to her iPad, would like some portable speakers which have battery/mains capability

Currently at top of possibles list is Bose Soundlink mini.

Any other suggestions?

This may be a little too large, but I can recommend it:Logitech UE Boombox: Amazon.co.uk: Hi-Fi & Speakers

Interesting but looking on the Logitec site something caught my eye:

"Note: Rechargeable Batteries have a finite service life"

Sure enough it has a flaw: replacements for the internal Lithium Ion batteries are not available and even if you got new cells and mugged up the battery pack cannot do so without taking it to bits.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I'd always fancied a Bose iPhone Sound dock affair so went an bought one.

I took it back after a day because it was nowhere near as good as the, supposed lesser, Philips docking station it was meant to replace.

Very disappointed.

Ended up with a Bowers and Wilkins which cost a little bit more but was far, far superior to the Bose.

Interesting but looking on the Logitec site something caught my eye:

"Note: Rechargeable Batteries have a finite service life"

Sure enough it has a flaw: replacements for the internal Lithium Ion batteries are not available and even if you got new cells and mugged up the battery pack cannot do so without taking it to bits.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Yes I can see that that would be a drawback for some, I use the mains permanently, so don't really mind if the the batteries cannot be replaced.

I went for the Bose and it is fantastic.

I recently purchased a JBL Micro Wireless Bluetooth Speaker, as I wanted something small but powerful enough to amplify the GPS instructions emanating from my iPhone while on the move.

For its size it's expensive, but the sound output/quality is impressive.

JBL Micro Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Apple Store (UK)
That looks interesting. I may get one for the same reasons. I've looked around and they can be got a lot cheaper than £50.00

With Bose, nowadays you really are paying for the name... some of the other brands are just as good if not better.

I would have a listen to a few if you can in a store and find one that is aesthetically pleasing as well as sounding.

That looks interesting. I may get one for the same reasons. I've looked around and they can be got a lot cheaper than £50.00

Don't be fooled by the price of the non-Bluetooth version, which is significantly cheaper than its wireless cousin.

I've been eyeing the JamBox , it looks good for a small portable wireless speaker.

I've got a jawbone jambox that I use with my iPhone, a fine piece of kit, had no problems with it and it sounds good for a small box, Costco do the bigger version of mine.

Just bought a Bose Soundlink mini, we can use it with our iPhone/ iPad and android.
The sound is pretty good and it's really portable.

Many thanks for all the suggestions and after an hour or so listening to the various offerings went for the Bose Soundlink Mini.

Despite my long standing aversion to things Bose, seemed best combination of size v. sound. Also, and most critical of all it seems, (large..) handbag friendly.

half a year ago I bought a JBL on tour portable speaker on amazon. It wasn't expensive at all (and I bought it also with a amazon voucher from the voucherbox website) and the quality of the music was suprisingly good. It can be used on batteries but also with electricity ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom