Wiring in a solar charger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nibbo

Car
C180K Estate
Hi All

I am not using my car a lot at the moment so it is sometimes left standing for weeks on end.
Went to start it yesterday and the battery was too flat. Still enough power for central locking etc but not enough to start it.

I have a solar trickle charger which I was thinking of wiring up so that I do not have to keep opening / closing the bonnet to connect it.

Does anyone know which wires are which in the cigarette lighter loom?
And if it would be OK to wire it in here?

I think there is a black/yellow; brown and a blue/white.

Any other suggestions welcomed.

TIA

Does anyone know which wires are which in the cigarette lighter loom?
The cigarette lighter in the passenger areas are probably only live when the key is turned, if you have one in the boot then that might be live all the time (not guaranteed!).

If you try searching the forum I think there was a big discussion a while ago about it, might find what you're looking for there :)

it would be worth wiring up direct to the battery but put a fuse in the line

Shude, you are of course correct and i realised as I was taking the console apart that neither wires were live. :wallbash:
Sadly the boot socket is also only live with the key in the ignition.

Scooter, I did think about that but I am always a bit wary with mercs as it seems easy to upset the electrics. :eek:
I will have a look at doing this a bit later.

Thanks Both

Shude, you are of course correct and i realised as I was taking the console apart that neither wires were live. :wallbash:
Sadly the boot socket is also only live with the key in the ignition.

Scooter, I did think about that but I am always a bit wary with mercs as it seems easy to upset the electrics. :eek:
I will have a look at doing this a bit later.
A "factory" way to do it would be to buy connectors and wiring and make your own loom terminated in the fuse box (in the boot or engine compartment area) under the always-live section (might not be one in the boot!), with an appropriate fuse installed.

You could also re-wire the boot socket to be always live. This is useful for mini-fridges but try not to forget about it! :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom