Wiring the mirror glass: 202/early 210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tim.100

Car
202&463
I have just bought a mirror frame to replace mine, which was cracked. My car is a 1997 facelift 202; the new frame is from a 1999 210.

The new frame has a 6-point round plug for the mirror glass. Four pons are actually wired. My old glass has a two-pin connector, like the one shown in this excellent thread:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/42635-heated-mirror.html

Does anyone know which wires I should connect to my 2-pin mirror?

sounds like it was meant for auto dim mirror if it has a multi plug,
connect to the wiriing loom door card end turn ing on and put a multi meter
on the terminals mirror end and you will find fed for heated mirror disregard
the rest unless you want an auto dimming mirror

Thanks. It was from a V8 model, so probably quite high spec. Assume that the heating will be on if temperature is <15c? And nothing on the auto-dim circuit unless lights are on?

Tim, could you put up a picture or a link to the back of this new mirror.

Dec

Tim, could you put up a picture or a link to the back of this new mirror.

Dec

The mirror glass is original and has a two pin socket. The new frame has a harness with an oval socket with 6 contacts, of which just four are wired.

Sadly photos will take 2 days due to my circumstances! Nothing helpful on 10 screens of google images either.

All you can do is what Clive suggest above. Remember, if its too warm where you are then there will be no power in the wires so test early in the morning when it will be below 15c or there abouts.

Dec

Solved!!

All you can do is what Clive suggest above. Remember, if its too warm where you are then there will be no power in the wires so test early in the morning when it will be below 15c or there abouts.

Dec

OK, so the pink wires are for the auto-dimming.
5 minutes soldering the two dark wires into the old 2-pin socket, and all worked well today.

Thanks to all who replied.

Hi,
Sorry I didnt see this thread before as I could of told you what you needed to know. For info mainly to people who might read this thread at a later date. The glass heater only operates below 15 degrees or so it is PERMANENTLY fed (via ignition) with 12V it is turned on via a temperature switch mounted on the back of the glass it has nothing to do with the cars outside temperature sensor/display.
To check simply check for 12V at the heater cables with ignition on. Element in glass should be checked when it is below 15 degrees, you should get a resistance through the element and an open circuit when the glass is warmed above 15 degrees.

I did my mirrors a few weeks back. Makes such a difference with nice radiant blue glass.

Arent the dimming mirrors browny grey?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom