WIS instructions - Removal of rear bumper S211 (2003)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Timster

Car
Currently Merc' Less.
Hi Folks.

I've searched all over adn got many different How To's for the removal of the rear bumper on my S211 E320CDI 2003 estate, but would love a copy of the WIS instruction / diagram.

Can anyone help with this? I'm fitting a towbar at the weekend!

Cheers.

Tim.

Might be better to put your VIN up so someone can do an accurate lookup.

Hi,
it is not a WIS Diagram but here is a pdf from Tow-Trust Towbars with their fitting instuctions and bumper removal instructions which is all I used, when I did mine not so long back. I was fortunate in being able to use a lift which made access easy and it is a 2 man job lifting away the bumper -- dont forget to unplug the parking sensors. The bumper beam bolts were very tight even for an impact gun. Apart from that it was an easy job and done within an hour ( the wiring I did later ). Regards

http://www.tow-trust.co.uk/uploads/instructions/TM875.pdf

Try these for a W211 320cdi

install%20rear%20bumper-1_zpshynrorxa.jpg

install%20rear%20bumper-2_zpsr0ro1cit.jpg

Thanks all - a great response from the forum once again.

Probably against my better judgement but owing to financial reasons I'm going to wire up via a bypass relay. Has anyone done this? If so any tips?

Hi,
Well no one else has stepped up to the plate so it looks like its down to me.
A couple of assumptions to begin with. They are , that you have a detachable tow ball, (and if not you will have problems), and that you have purchased a relay kit with all the wires etc. I bought a Witter flip down bracket for the electrical plug as the supplied one is of no use for a detachable tow ball.
So armed with multimeter. light up pointed tester, a wee screwdriver and my favourite bent nose pliers me and the dog ( just an observer ) sat in the back and began.
o/s rear panel has to be removed, this is where the relay is to sit and the 7 core cable was fed through a handy grommit and out under the back where I was able to wire up the socket which was bolted to the new flip down bracket.
The relay then has to be wired into the wiring loom. Fortunately my car had been previously wired for a towbar and nips in the wires where scotchlocks had been were clues as to which wires to use. The light up tester was useful in identifying flashers and rear lights. I only wanted basic electrics for my tiny Freedom caravan so not so many wires to fit. If you are wiring all the terminals thenit gets more complicated than I attempted.
Final wire as I recall was a long wire and fuse fed through the under tray to the battery.
First time I used it for towing everything seemed to work ok.
Despite what is written. the tow ball does interfere with the parking sensors so its best just to turn them off.
After my detachable towball is removed then everything works as it should.
I just coiled up any spare wiring and neatly stowed it away near the Navigation unit and job done.
Hardest part for sure was identifying the wires to scotchlock. Also impressed with the quality of the Tow Trust towbar, a huge lump of steel at the back to repel anything that should hit me up the rear.
I am sure there are bits that I have forgotton, but if stuck feel free to ask some more.
Regards Steve

Cheers toolman.

Tomorrows the day so I'll see how I get on. Thanks for the pointers.

It's a fixed flange bar which I'm hoping won't interfere with the sensors but not a biggie to remove the ball when I'm not using it if needed.

Alternatively I could permanently deactivate the parking sensors and use the big hunk of metal sticking out the back of my car as a sensor!!!

Cheers all. A successful day.

Attachments

• image-2637750253.jpg
    image-2637750253.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 6
And another!

Attachments

• image-456525007.jpg
    image-456525007.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back