Wish me luck, Parking Appeal Tribunal Hearing today !!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And of course it's now a matter of public record that any other person can use to beat them over the head with !

This is why councils have the reputation of being "jobsworths".

But where it got interesting is between me appealing and me getting my decision from them, the actual web page was removed !!!!

So had appealed to the tribunal and had to put a freedom of information act request to get a copy of the webpage from them and any internal correspondence relating to why the webpage was removed.

Fortunately the Adjudicator accepted that there was further guidelines that should have been on the signage and its not practical for people to have to look up official traffic orders !

Phew

If you have a smart phone, get into the habit of photographing stuff like that.

Can save you a lot of hassle down the line.

This is why councils have the reputation of being "jobsworths".

If you have a smart phone, get into the habit of photographing stuff like that.

Can save you a lot of hassle down the line.

Yep. Have now discovered how easy it is to screen grab on my fone and pc and will be doing as a matter of course !

When it comes to council parking enforcement there are 2 things to bear in mind: 1) It's a major revenue stream & 2) It has very little to do with traffic management.

They are playing a numbers game where they know virtually nobody will contest the infraction, even if it is issued incorrectly, unfair, for a tiny mistake etc. 90% just say, "oh bollocks, it's only 30, 40, 60 quid, I'll just pay it." Even amongst the tiny % who do contest, a % will drop out at each stage of the appeal & the council will win a % at final appeal. They have nothing to lose.

In one of the local towns near me the council has removed about half of the free on street parking to allow for social distancing while the traffic enforcement officers still patrol the streets in numbers for about 18 hours of the day. This is happening while nearly every business in the town is on it's ars3 & barely hanging on, about 20% of shops on the high street are empty & more shutting every week, where charity shops are the biggest category of business, closely followed by pound shops that come & go overnight.

It's pretty clear those running the parking enforcement department, maybe the whole council, have never been employed in any business where they are not doing the easiest job on the planet, spending other people's money.

They didn't even need to admit they were wrong. If they had actually responded to my actual point with some understanding in the notice of rejection instead of blankly ignoring it I probably would have just paid and be done with it.
Par for the course; HMRC do the same. I had a tax bill for unpaid back income tax of over £6K about ten years ago. I had a good case, so I wrote to them contesting it. The reply was an obvious stock response, answering none of my case, and I'm not persuaded my letter had actually been read...

I wrote back pointing this out, and they wrote it off without further ado.

I recently had fines from HMRC of 11 x £100 for failing to tell them I didn’t owe them any money. Said I could appeal in writing or by phone.
I had in fact told them so sent a written appeal.
No reply to that but several red menacing threatening reminders.
Number 2 son is a junior accountant and told me I could appeal online. Asked him to show me and 22 clicks later all 11 fines disappeared.

Reactions: Ted
Had a speeding ticket some years ago, supposedly at 4.45 am one July morning, coming home from the airport at the end of a holiday. The time shown was obviously (to me anyway) wrong, as we had arrived home by then, having passed that camera at 3.45....

I explained this to the Police, but in reply they sent photo proof, and saying that the camera had only recently been calibrated, so it was correct.

Shot themselves in the foot with that, though, as the photo was taken in darkness, but by 4.45 that morning, it was full daylight.

Once I sent confirmation of this in the form of a letter from the Ordnance Survey, I heard no more, presumably because they didn’t want me to go public?

The error wasn’t because of BST/GMT, the hour was in the wrong direction.

Was I doing 41 in a 30? No idea, I was in such a hurry to get home that I wasn’t looking at the speedo! I respect that camera now, though.......

Good luck.

I appealed a fixed penalty notice for a box junction about a month ago but haven’t heard back. The council left cameras on despite major roadworks which closed a lane, temp traffic lights, diversions etc. Basically chaos. Ended up with the rear 2-3ft over the edge and that was enough. It was dark and the roadworks/closed lane were completely unlit so I used that for my case.

Is there a time limit for them to respond?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom