With Nano-paint, is it worth paying more for metallic black versus plain black (404)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hbtoh

Hi guys,

Love all the black mercs on this forum.

I'm getting a E270CDI in black with pebble beige interior.

With the new nano tech clear coat, I hear that swirl marks etc are much less a problem. Given this, should I save the (exhorbitant, I think) cost of metallic black as in obsidian black, and go for the non metallic black?

Any one out there have nano-non metallic black and would like to comment?

I plan to go over the car a few times and lay down a solid wax cover in several layers which should give a deep lustre for both non-metallic and metallic black.

I have an E220 in Obsidian Black with Palma Grey interior and the blue A/G windows. It looks stunning.

I have the Nano paint treatment and have washed the car probably a dozen times since May when it arrived and have zero paint scratches or swirls from the process. Not sure if this Nano benefits or just me being careful.

The obsidian looks stuning, especially on a bright day. Far far better than standard black would. Pay the extra. You'll only regret it when the flat black car arrives.

Two thing to note though.

1) I have a couple of odd marks on the roof near the windscreen. 2 small circles about 5mm that look like paint chips but are not. The surface is undamaged but the area is a dark grey in colour (as opposed to black). I wonder if these are stone damage marks where the nano treatment has protected as best it could withouth actual chipping?

2) In the summer I put my hands on the rear panel by the boot after just putting sun cream on. The marks were on the car for a couple of days as I hadn't notice them but now I can't get them off. No amount of washing or scrubbing (with a sponge) will remove the marks. Another issue with Nano or just a stupid owner? Could be either.

Andy.

I've got standard Nano black, a friend has a C Coupe in Obsidian, I can't see enough difference to warrant the cost, in fact, I doubt any normal person looking at the two would see that they were different colours!

When mine's clean it looks stunning. Let's face it though, in this country who can keep their car clean, once you've driven it after a wash all shades of black look the same.

Are there any special instructions with the nano paint? Any do's or don'ts?Can you, for example, use a wax cleaner to remove sun cream marks?

No special instructions for cleaning that I noted. Comes up lovely every time with Autoglym Wash and Wax stuff.

Ogii - Who said I was normal! The Obsidian black looked a bit 'lighter' than normal black - or at least it did when looking at the cars in the showroom. I guess those halogen lights played a big part in highlighting the metalic.

It's best viewed after a loving wash on a hot and sunny summers day with clear skies. Good job we get lots of those!

My understanding is that the nano paint was more resistant to scratches and marking. :( I'd have thought black would be especially prone to marks and in that sense the nano paint would be better.

Interesting to hear what Goldfish11 has to say on the subject as his E class is black.

Busker said:
My understanding is that the nano paint was more resistant to scratches and marking. :( I'd have thought black would be especially prone to marks and in that sense the nano paint would be better.

Interesting to hear what Goldfish11 has to say on the subject as his E class is black.

Mine is Obsidian black, the key with a Metallic is it does reduce the appearance of any marks and swirl. I have not got nano paint so I can not comment on durability but you will need to look after it. But Black looks fantastic when clean and polished but it is a high maintainence colour. I ended up with my vehicle because I needed a car in 2 weeks so I went for nearly new, it was 6 months old 9K miles and was the sales managers car at Mercedes, the car was fully loaded (I have every option apart from the radar cruise thing and a sun roof). I think he may have put it through the car wash hence the swirl but in hindsight it was easy to sort out, once I did my research.

I wanted a dark car as I think the E Class grille and lights look great and in silver they sort of blend into the front. The other colour I looked at was the metallic dark blue but this car would have had less options even though it was new.

I use a lambs wool wash mitt and the 2 bucket method of cleaning (use 2 buckets one with your car shampoo wash water and a seperate bucket that after each wipe of the car you dip the mitt in this to rinse off any rubbish before putting it in the car shampoo wash water bucket again, this stops you rubbing grit over the paint, and stops swirl.)

A neighbour has a plain black Nissan truck thing, when new 6 months ago it looked great, it still looks great from a distance but it now has swirl which is visible close up and he will need to borrow my Porter Cable.

The metallic in obsidian really only comes into its own when the sun is on it. To be quiet honest I dont think there is much in it and if you had a straight black parked next to a metallic black it would be interesting to see a difference could really be detected in normally overcast light conditions.

But do remember most cars are now valued in Glasses Guide as if they have Metallic so if you go for plain it may effect the residuals very slightly.

My interior is sand (an other high maintainance colour) but on dark mornings and nights it is lovelly and airy with the ambient lighting. I really love this interior. I bought some Autoglym Lifeshine spray from ebay. Sprayed the whole lot and now children just bead and roll off it :D Seriously leather is really easy to maintain and comes up beautifully with a little Autoglym leather care.

So in summary, I ended up with Obsidian by default so I did not really choose it although I really love it now and would probably go for it again. None metallic may impact residuals (but this is debatably but you can be sure the stealer will raise this if you trade the vehicle in). Sand interior is great. Dark colours are high maintainance, you do need to take care (no automatic car washes :crazy: ) I would not even risk this with Nano paint. If you want low maintainence go for silver you can really abuse the paint without it being that noticeable. DarK colours in my opionion look great in the new Eclass, they also look stunning when clean and do turn heads.

Busker said:

Mine's an E too (Black, Nano, not metallic, black interior)

Never been through a Car Wash - always get a £5 hand job ;)

No swirls, no stone chips, but :mad: I do have 3 or 4 minor dents from to55ers in car parks and a dent on the boot lid which I assuming was from a green eyed monster! They do show up more than I imagine they would on a silver car but I'd still go for it again. I just didn't think the metalic was worth the extra).

I do conceed that there may be an issue on resale but that isn't a problem for me. Doubt it makes much difference anyway - doubt there are many out there like me who would be a MANUAL :bannana: E anyway.

OGiii said:
I've got standard Nano black, a friend has a C Coupe in Obsidian, I can't see enough difference to warrant the cost, in fact, I doubt any normal person looking at the two would see that they were different colours!

When mine's clean it looks stunning. Let's face it though, in this country who can keep their car clean, once you've driven it after a wash all shades of black look the same.

If a Teallite Blue non nano finish is cleaned, polished and then parked alongside a Teallite blue car that has the new 'nano' technology clear coat then I also would not be surprised if the quality of shine looked similar.

This really is not the issue. The new technology definitely, unequivocally gives much better protection to the 'finish'.

There are numerous owners of vehicles that are really impressed with the lack of both swirls and chip marks. I have owned a 210 which had numerous chip marks across the front of the bonnet after just 12 months motoring. Our new car was purchased the beginning of February and touch wood no chips so far.

I know a number of people who own black vehicles that have the new technology and they would echo my sentiments. I do accept that someone might have had a bad experience, but there will always be the exception that makes the rule.

Good luck with your choice,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom