Without Changig Gear Consult Workshop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbenz76

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 AMG Night Edition Premium Plus Saloon
Got in car after work today and fired up to be presented with a red error message saying "without changing gear consult workshop".

Turned off, let it shut down, and fired up again and all fine this time with no problems or errors.

Called dealer who were not much help over phone and simply said to call Mobilo if the message comes back on. I am booked in dealer next week for a minor issue so will have them look at it then but within a week of that I have about 3-4k miles to do so hope everything is OK and it doesn't pack up on me mid journey!

Has anyone else seen this before (2010 E350) and is it likely to be serious? Will it have logged anything the dealer can see and if not should I assume it safe to drive?

Thanks in advance.

I know it's not long since I posted but wondered if anyone had any suggestions/advice? Thanks.

There will be a stored code.

It was saying not to change the gear selection otherwise it wouldn't be able to retain the selected gear, or possibly any other.

Possibly low battery voltage.

It was in Park on the roof of a multi storey car park so glad it worked as a flat bed would never have got to me to drag me on board!

Read from Googling about it possibly being the selector module. Car is under warranty so not worried about costs etc. but really need car to be working and reliable in a couple of weeks for 3-4k mile that I have to do.

Going to try and get dealer to see me tomorrow at start or end of day just to run diags so they have time to order parts. Do diags to get code take long?

I have no idea how much charge is in battery but have no reason to think it is low. Have done a fair bit of driving last couple of weeks - mix of city and motorway. And did 60 miles on motorway tonight after fault so should hae charged it back up if it was low.

As I am a glass half empty kind of guy, what is the worst case scenario?

After some googling probably shift solenoid need resync,not familiar with 7G and never will be!It looks like control module needs resetting...

Last edited:
ivandraganov said:
After some googling probably shift solenoid need resync,not familiar with 7G and never will be!It looks like control module needs resetting...

Is that a quick job for dealer? Or something I can do?

Took car for an Italian tune up after error and did lots of engine off and on between driving once off motorway and cannot replicate error. Could it go away on it's own?

ivandraganov said:
Should take 10 min if need resync....

Thanks

8am I am on the phone. Hoping I can sweet talk them into giving it a quick once over before or after work.

With a long trip coming up I don't want to wait until my service booking next Tuesday. If it needs parts I would rather they have a head start on ordering them in case they need to come from Germany.

mbenz76 said:
. If it needs parts I would rather they have a head start on ordering them in case they need to come from Germany.

Don't think will need any...

I hope so. Just out of interest, what is the resync doing? What is being resynchronised and how would it get out of sync?

Thanks for all the help. I'll post back when I have been to MB.

mbenz76 said:
I hope so. Just out of interest, what is the resync doing? What is being resynchronised and how would it get out of sync?

Probably just plug and clear the control module on a Star ,MB diagnosis computer....

All fine so far. Off to workshop first thing tomorrow morning so hope to have more news then. Really hoping something and nothing.

I hope there is at least some useful data logged and that it isn't serious. Cost isn't an issue it is hopefully under warranty but time isn't on my side.

Workshop took a look this morning and found no faults logged and nothing obviously wrong.

Good news I hope.

Problems has not repeated so hopefully just a computer glitch.

Had a problem many months ago where various systems failed within a few minutes of each other (all auto lights, hazards, parking sensors, Distronic systems etc.) and then got engine light. Engine off and on and was working fine again! Never repeated and never logged a fault. Guess the computers in it can crash or play up just like a Windows machine can!

My 124 is 20 years old, and its more or less a simple old girl to work on.

Modern cars, 20 years down the line :confused:

Workshop took a look this morning and found no faults logged and nothing obviously wrong.

Good news I hope.

Problems has not repeated so hopefully just a computer glitch.

Had a problem many months ago where various systems failed within a few minutes of each other (all auto lights, hazards, parking sensors, Distronic systems etc.) and then got engine light. Engine off and on and was working fine again! Never repeated and never logged a fault. Guess the computers in it can crash or play up just like a Windows machine can!

This does sound like you have either a battery/low voltage issue or possibly an earthing issue.

I mentioned battery to them but they said the car would have alerted me with a battery warning as it monitors the battery and charging. I don't know personally.

Car is a March 2010 car owned from factory by me. I have done 35k in it, and whilst I do a city centre commute each day I also get in some good motorway runs every couple of weeks. Personally I would expect battery to still be half decent. Or am I expecting too much from it?

If the battery voltage drops on start, the gearbox ECU has a little panic attack.

Dieselman said:
If the battery voltage drops on start, the gearbox ECU has a little panic attack.

Ha ha. I see.

I did put a good 60-80 motorway miles on it almost straight after so should have charged battery back to full.

Back at my usual dealer on Tuesday for some minor warranty work (tried a new one this morning as they would see me at very short notice) so will ask them to check it out as well. Never hurts to have a second opinion. Will specifically ask for battery to be checked as well. With winter coming I want to be sure battery is in top condition.

Car has ben fine since and the error has not occurred again.

Got a second opinion today and same result. No codes logged and no problems found. Can't explain why it would have happened.

I am happier now that I have been reassured but a bit perplexed why it happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom