Witnessed a crash - Dashcam came in handy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A HGV driver must assume that there is something in his blind spot. If this is a left hand drive HGV then even more so.
Agreed, in fact this is so obvious I can't believe it needs debating. I don't know what video other people were watching but I saw an HGV move out of it's lane and hit another vehicle. The HGV driver clearly hadn't checked their blind spot but decided to make the manoeuvre anyway.

As others have said, never sit beside an HGV, I always get passed ASAP and be aware they may change lanes unexpectedly..

You don't always get the choice.

I changed my routes to avoid sections of the M6 with 50mph limits for 'smart' motorway upgrades.

Fed up of sitting in lane 1 with a barrier inches away on the left and HGVs passing slowly within inches on tte right.

you can always hang back behind the HGV and in a different lane, leaving a larger gap to whatever is in front of you...

The lorry left the lane and drove into the Civic, lorry driver error.

1. Agreed.

2. Was there anything the Civic driver could have reasonably done to prevent the accident?

You don't always get the choice. I changed my routes to avoid sections of the M6 with 50mph limits for 'smart' motorway upgrades. Fed up of sitting in lane 1 with a barrier inches away on the left and HGVs passing slowly within inches on tte right.

You could always move to the right-hand lane and accelerate to 55 mph, as the faster lorries have already done. The drivers know the cameras will not be set to record lower than 57 mph (except possibly in North Wales, where the constabulary are anally silly about minor speeding infractions; the rest of the country lives in the real world...).

You could always move to the right-hand lane and accelerate to 55 mph, as the faster lorries have already done. The drivers know the cameras will not be set to record lower than 57 mph (except possibly in North Wales, where the constabulary are anally silly about minor speeding infractions; the rest of the country lives in the real world...).

So the solution you advocate is basically: break the law.

So the solution you advocate is basically: break the law.
Get my car damaged and then go through all the ensuing inconvenience, or break the law by a small amount. I know what my choice would be.

Bikers will know what I am talking about. The difference between a live biker and the dead one is that the former knows how to prevent no-fault accidents....

Get my car damaged and then go through all the ensuing inconvenience, or break the law by a small amount. I know what my choice would be.

I think I pointed out in post #22 that my actual strategy was to reroute.

My view of driving in these particular motorway and DC situations is that apart from the direct perceived danger of proximity and speed convergence - there is also added fatigue (which maybe doesn't affect everybody the same way) which could also have consequences later on in a long journey.

Bikers will know what I am talking about. The difference between a live biker and the dead one is that the former knows how to prevent no-fault accidents....
Yes! Applies to cyclists too, this is what I was meaning in post 11. Though admittedly cycling is less likely to go as badly wrong as motorcycling can.

Also applies to pilots: the WW2 phrase was apparently “there are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots”.

Hi All

Thought fellow members find this interesting, was driving along the M1 when a lorry merged into the car in the next lane, I pulled over (it looks like i'm cutting across traffic however I did check my mirrors to ensure all clear) made sure no one was hurt and have sent the car driver the link to the footage, no one else pulled over so he was quite grateful.

Its quite handy as the lorry driver is claiming the car crashed into him and denying fault, I think at some point I need to upgrade my dashcam, the quality is sufficient to prove liability but cannot quite make out the numberplates which is not ideal.

Skip to 35 seconds in.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thoughts?
Derek, as a matter of interest which dashcam were you using? One can imagine a scenario in which higher resolution footage might serve a critical role in establishing liability !

Up to the point where the only thing you could have done is not bother getting out of bed that morning. In 20+ years of riding I've had 3 accidents, 2 of which fit this description. Sat in stationary traffic at a junction and the driver behind suddenly decides to drive through me. In both cases they ended up on due care and attention charges.

Up to the point where the only thing you could have done is not bother getting out of bed that morning. In 20+ years of riding I've had 3 accidents, 2 of which fit this description. Sat in stationary traffic at a junction and the driver behind suddenly decides to drive through me. In both cases they ended up on due care and attention charges.

Sorry to hear this and hope you weren't injured.

But just to say that I was referring to all those accidents that you didn't have ;)

But just to say that I was referring to all those accidents that you didn't have ;)

Speaking of accidents I got knocked off my m/c by a left hand driven HGV at a r/bout and run over by 38 T. He came to a stop with his tractor unit wheel directly on top of my left leg 😓 😊

I'd never hang alongside a lorry like that for longer than is necessary unless you can't avoid - made me grit my teeth a little watching that.

If you can't get past the front level of it then I would stay behind the rear bumper as chances are you should be further back from whatever is stopping you from passing the lorry.

Sometimes they just dart out with no notice and left hookers would take you out.

It shouldn't be like that but no good being right as your coffin moves into the furnace.

In that respect it looks like I'm doing pretty good so far. 🤣

However the point I was aiming for was that no matter how skilled and experienced you are, sometimes it's just not your day.

Derek, as a matter of interest which dashcam were you using? One can imagine a scenario in which higher resolution footage might serve a critical role in establishing liability !
Sorry missed this, it's the Anker Roav 1080p one, software on it is decent, can get footage off it via WiFi and it has been reliable, 2 and half years old.

As said a good reason why you don't want to be sat alongside a lorry. I've had it happened to me yet I was in lane one and the lorry came up alongside me on the approach of the M25 to the M4. Indicated and start to merge. Luckily I had enough of a gap to accelerate into and I was mindful of exactly that happening.

Good work OP with regards the video, I'm sure the driver appreciated it. I used my dash cam to help out a driver who's mirror was smashed off on a slightly narrow lane. The other driver basically drove down the middle, smashed his mirror into oblivion and carried on driving. The footage shows her push past me with her mirror swinging by a wire from the side of her car!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom