Wobble at speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AntMB

Car
Mercedes E270 Estate and VW Golf
Hi all. So my S211 early on would have a slight wobble at speed, say 50 mph plus. When I replaced one of the large lower ball joints, the wobble went, presumably a nice new tight ball joint dampened the effects.

The wobble is back but is getting worse. Its very noticeable through the steering wheel and a little in the foot well. It makes the car very uncomfortable to drive.

Up until late last year, the car had been sitting around for months, so at this point it seems obvious to get the front wheels balanced, due to the symptoms and that cars sitting around can get flat spots on the tyres.

As and when I get the wheels balanced, what else could you suggest that I check?

Thanks.

Tyre condition, check for possible sidewall bulges.
Check wheels one or more may be buckled.
Check all four wheels, vibration through the footwell could be indicative of rear wheel issues.
Inspect suspension and steering joints and bushes for wear

Minor buckle in rears? I had two buckled rears and had the footwell shimmer you describe. Also transmitted to steering. Got the rears straightened and it was pretty much perfect thereafter. I put the remaining shimmer on keep mine down to body flex as it’s a cabriolet.

Ok, so I took the car in to get the front wheels balanced, I thought that'll be a good place to start, right?

Well, goodness me. As soon as he started up the balancer with my wheels on, it became very apparent, very quickly what the issue was. My tyres had a very significant elliptical run out. So basically, by tyres are egg shaped. He balanced them anyway, but as I suspect it made no difference, as the run out can't be balanced out. They're more than likely to be egg shaped from when the car was sat around for quite some time.

So, today I fitted a pair of my spare set to the front and now the car rides absolutely fine.

So the wheels which came off, have about 5mm left on them, but what can you do?

I was about to post you probably have an egg shaped tyre from sitting around...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom