Wobbly Brakes 203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LittleG

Car
05 C220 Avantgarde Wagon
After talking about my wobbly brakes I popped down to the car to see when I had them changed, I looked at the invoice and noticed something a little worrying at the bottom.
IMAG1091.jpg

So I'm guessing this maybe causing a wobble? and where do I get new bolts from?

It's just a retaining bolt(counter sunk screw normally) the wheel bolts will hold the disc on as they go through it. So thats not your problem,take a look at your ball joints,track rod,and lower swivel ,also check for play in the wheel bearing.

It's just a retaining bolt(counter sunk screw normally) the wheel bolts will hold the disc on as they go through it. So thats not your problem,take a look at your ball joints,track rod,and lower swivel ,also check for play in the wheel bearing.

This is correct. At any rate the retaining bolt is covered by the wheel's hub and there is no way it can come out or move once the road wheels are fitted, regardless of its condition.

It is a tiny bolt and it is not designed to take load or any of the forces that occur during driving or braking - the road wheel bolts do all the work.

It's only purpose is to hold the brake disc in place when the road wheel is off.

It is a common mistake to over tighten it - there is absolutely no need - it has the entire road wheel behind it keeping it in place. From memory the official tightening torque is only around 8Nm.

Just smear some copper grease on it and screw it in very mildly, then fit the road wheel, this will ensure it does not need to be drilled-out next time..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom