Wobbly hand brake shoes w211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isobars

Car
300SD'79, E300TD '95, 300TDT '82, 280CE '84, 250L '84, 300SEL LPG '91, 300D '80, 300CE '91, 300E '89
Hello all, I wonder if anybody could shed any light on the small problem which I’m having. ( Might be small but it is really giving me a very scratched head.) I recently replaced the handbrake shoes on my 2004 E 70, I cannot seem to get them to sit still inasmuch as despite the fact that I think I fitted it correctly, they still wobble a little, there’s about half an inch of play in them and I can’t seem to get the new disk over the top of them without the disk remaining in contact with them. I have wound the tensioner all the way in but they still appear locked. Could it be that the holes on the back plate have grown large with the passage of time? Or once they are prodded through the whole unturned is there a specific angle they must sit up or is clipped to the inside simply sufficient? Thanks in advance for any info. Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• E2BF674B-50F0-4304-BC94-71D7A8A9E730.jpeg
    E2BF674B-50F0-4304-BC94-71D7A8A9E730.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 6FE7E031-7953-4E9A-9E20-72C568F5631D.jpeg
    6FE7E031-7953-4E9A-9E20-72C568F5631D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
Not sure if it's the same set up as my car but where the cable slits from the central one has that adjuster been slackened right off ?

What's an E70?

Is the leaver in correct, looks a bit strange?

Genuine discs and pads?

They are maybe just not sitting square . Tap the edges and keep trying the disc on.

Sorry, 270 cdi. No, not genuine.
What Leaver, sorry?
Cheers, Paul

The lever (sorry) from the cable to the shoes.
It's not upside down is it?

Apart from that I'd check that the shoes and discs are correct.

The spring retainers will allow the shoes to move, if the adjuster is slackened right off, and the disc still doesn’t fit, you may need to reset (assembly position ) the self adjusting cable mechanism, adjust the shoes to disc and then release mechanism.

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated. I’ll check both tomorrow. Cheers, Paul

The spring retainers will allow the shoes to move, if the adjuster is slackened right off, and the disc still doesn’t fit, you may need to reset (assembly position ) the self adjusting cable mechanism, adjust the shoes to disc and then release mechanism.
Hi, many thanks for that advice, it does seem a likely solution. How do I reset the adjusting cable mechanism? I have attached an image of the left side I just wondered if that looked correct. Thanks, Paul.

Attachments

• 85031B69-3A03-42DB-BC61-B62161F56C4B.jpeg
    85031B69-3A03-42DB-BC61-B62161F56C4B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Ok that pic is of the operating quadrant and clearly shows it operated in the on position. Follow the cable to the centre of car, above rear prop, I think there’s a toothed snail cam that needs to be turned to slacken the cables and the quadrants released.

Ok that pic is of the operating quadrant and clearly shows it operated in the on position. Follow the cable to the centre of car, above rear prop, I think there’s a toothed snail cam that needs to be turned to slacken the cables and the quadrants released.
Thank You!!!!!!!! Much obliged!

Oh , and please give that hub a good going over with a wire brush/wheel before putting the disc on . But you knew that :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom