Woman, 84, dies in A1 'wrong way' crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My dad at 84, has gone in recent years from driving all the way to Scotland, to leaving his car on the drive, because he can't park it in the garage properly nowadays.

He's accepted that his driving days are now limited.

Sensible chap, my dad.

All preventable by regular testing, when will the government listen :doh: It's the innocent ones they collide with I feel for.

Thats the thing, these regular tests are done for HGVs, why not for all other vehicles?

Thats the thing, these regular tests are done for HGVs, why not for all other vehicles?

LCV license holders don't re-sit a test, just have medical notice from their GP for fitness to drive.

LCV license holders don't re-sit a test, just have medical notice from their GP for fitness to drive.

Yes, thank you :)

I meant medical test not theory.
Plus CPC every 5 years from next year.

Yes, thank you :)

I meant medical test not theory.
Plus CPC every 5 years from next year.

I don't think they even have a medical test, just a GP letter to say they are fit to drive.

I don't think they even have a medical test, just a GP letter to say they are fit to drive.

I don't know what are the current requirements as such, but what you say seems sensible enough?

The doctor has to fill in an assessment form, some do that by giving a medical others do it from a patients history. It's every 5 years from 45 - 65 then every year. Got to book my second one November this year.

From the age of 45 you have to have it every 5 years.
From 65, every year.

That doesn't say whether it's a medical or just a report of fitness to drive.

I'm still not sure how an LCV drivers checkup would stop an old woman driving the wrong way on a motorway? Was she driving a lorry?

only a few months ago in cork in ireland i arrived as the seen of a accident that had just happened a elderly man driving down the wrong way of a motor-way .
He had a head on collision with a car coming the other way in outer lane ,the cars had just come to rest when i had arrived and as i parked up i new the elderly man was dead the other driver was injured badly mostly upper body from impact , i was shocked to see the damage on both cars and the injuries that both people had.

A simple mistake ended one life and scared the other for life

i think once you reach a certain age you should take a test every year or so we all have come across elderly drivers that are dangerous on the road but thankfully not too often

As Ian says, theres a rather long winded form to complete, where you must disclose any medical issues you have.
Given the actual content, I would be inclined to say it is a bit more than just a fitness test.

Umm...since when was filling in a form more exacting than a medical?

I agree it should be a full medical, my doc gives me blood tests, ECG and BP checks before she fills it in. Which I suspect is more than most do.

That's not for private vehicles though?

Not sure how many people would have their own HGV or PSV?
In princple, such vehicles are for commercial use.

However, I cannot see the Traffic Commisioner given a dispensation to 60 years old from his medical test, because he uses his own 32t, 8-wheeler to do shopping at local Asda.

Not sure how many people would have their own HGV or PSV?
In princple, such vehicles are for commercial use.

However, I cannot see the Traffic Commisioner given a dispensation to 60 years old from his medical test, because he uses his own 32t, 8-wheeler to do shopping at local Asda.

I can see this is going to be a long night.... :rolleyes:

Since declaring a medical condition will require a thorough medical examination before you get your licence back, if you get it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom