Women on a mobile phone in 1928 Charlie Chaplin Film

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
[YOUTUBE]Gj3qesTjOE8&[/YOUTUBE]

Check around 20-22 sec's in, she appears to be talking to it aswell...

Khz reminds viewers that no phone masts were up in the 1920s :D

On the DVD extras for Charlie Chaplin's 'The Circus', a woman is spotted in the background at the movie's premiere in 1928 and appears to be talking on a mobile phone.
Stunned by what he saw, Irish filmmaker George Clarke consulted experts on his find, and has since posted it on YouTube. He claims that the video has not been tampered with in any way.

The footage does seem to show a lady nattering on a mobile phone, but if you thought your phone reception was bad at normal times, we hate to think what it would have been like in the ‘20s.

Cynics have scoffed at the footage, asking, if you were a time traveller, would you openly show off the amazing gadget? Others have asked why you would go to a Chaplin premiere if you could go back to any point in time?

Clarke replied, "Who says the person in question went back to see the Chaplin premiere? How about, the person went back to an earlier period and got stuck there or was in town doing something else and just happened to stroll on by."

Odd eh?

Its an early transistor radio she is listening to and singing along. Quite how she did that in a silent movie though is beyond me :eek:

Its an early transistor radio she is listening to and singing along. Quite how she did that in a silent movie though is beyond me :eek:

She's not in the film, she's attending (or walking past) the cinema where it was being premiered.

Personally all I can see against her head is her hand, so who knows what might have been in it.

The idea about it being a time traveller is quite interesting... though her mobile phone would still not have worked in 1928 US!

Well it can't have been an iPhone 4 - holding it like that she'd never get a signal ;)

silentmovieframe.jpg

read all the comments on this and I think you will find its fake. The woman appears to have been "grafted" in. Very clever tho.

Lets face it, if this person is a time traveller they will undoubtedly have access to more incredible technology than we have today. So what's not to say this person firstly went into the future and obtained some kind of communicator which works accross multiple time dimensions?

Alternatively, it could just be a clinically insane person talking to a banana! :D

First consumer transistor radios didn't hit the market until 1954 (in the US).

Transistors were "invented" (or at least the patents files) in the late '40s - 1947 IIRC - and Bardeen, Brattain and Shockley shared the Nobel Physics prize in the mid 50's for the discovery.

Last edited:
She's not in the film, she's attending (or walking past) the cinema where it was being premiered.

Personally all I can see against her head is her hand, so who knows what might have been in it.

......Wasn't serious!!

i think if the government had time travel technology, sending some one back to a Charlie Chaplin film would be the last place on there destination list.
its got to be a layover fake

Just realised I have met George Clarke. My daughter has worked for him on a couple of horror films. Its a small world. Since he posted this on U tube it has had millions of hits and been on telly around the world... still think she is scratching her ear.

The first mobile phone was invented in 1927.

Sadly, it was no use until the second mobile phone was invented in the 1980s...

Had she been using some early 'super glue' and stuck her hand to her head :D.

To me it looks remarkably like a man who looks a bit cautious about being recognised so he's talking to someone (nearby) asking if he can be recognised, or he's muttering something to himself (because he's nervous).

So who added the fade in the film? It certainly wasn't done when the film was made, and so if it was added later by the DVD production company then they could have also tampered with it in other ways. What we need to see is the original film, not a 'produced' version for some extras on a DVD. Until then, this is clearly a rather butch woman with tooth ache.

Latest update is that it may have been an ear-horn hearing aid:

500x_ear-trumpet.jpg

+ she was talking to herself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom