Wonder Wheels - Yay or Nay?

Is Wonder Wheels alright to shift my extensive brake dust deposits?

• Yes, go on, it's alright when you follow the instructions properly

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • No, it's evil stuff and you'll damage your wheels

Votes: 23 52.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
I have BLACK areas of dust/tar etc stuck solid to the inner of my alloys. Previous owner didn't show any love for them :mad:

Fortunately, I'm giving the car some TLC, it's appearance improving all the time. Just got some dark grey leather Dye to help with the scuff areas too inside.

My attention will turn to the alloys. Had a search through the threads, but there are approximately a gazillion.

It's not got a great reputation as it's powerful stuff and can damage the finish.

However if it's stubborn marks you're trying to remove, and it's occasional use only, rinsed very very well afterwards, then what the heck is what I say. I have some in the garage waiting for the day I need it.

Will need lots of elbow grease and a few brushes. Might be worth waxing them once clean, or maybe re-sealing the wheels with Autoglym sealant - whether it's any good or snake oil I have no idea, but generally speaking Autoglym stuff is pretty good.

In fact I used it every wash on previous cars, and the wheels were as mint when I sold the car as the day I bought it.

Gucci,

Have you posted any pics of your bus yet?

I use wheel cleaners and soap and water with a halfords wheel sponge gizmo. The alloys still look great although being sad I will probably take then off at some point to get the insides clean....

Gucci,

Have you posted any pics of your bus yet?

I use wheel cleaners and soap and water with a halfords wheel sponge gizmo. The alloys still look great although being sad I will probably take then off at some point to get the insides clean....

Sad? hmmm, I'm whipping my wheels off to the job when the weather is a bit nicer :eek: .

I have posted pics - ML350 pics!

Last edited:
Have a rubber mallet and a bucket load of brute force to get them off then. The size and weight makes refitting tricky too.

Well it does to a soft-handed work-shy like me!!

Have a rubber mallet and a bucket load of brute force to get them off then. The size and weight makes refitting tricky too.

Well it does to a soft-handed work-shy like me!!

....damn, I'm a mouse pushing designer. Are they that awkward? :crazy:

Alloys stuck on...?
The simply pour a few jugs of boiling water on the bit where they mount on the disc hub. Will be off in minutes.

Talking of heavy...

ML + trolley jack + tarmac + pleasantly warm day

= lots of tiny wheel shaped holes in sets of four on my drive​

I like to think it gives our residence character, a sort of driveway patina if you will.

I agree its OK to use as a one off. Its certainly the best stuff to shift burnt on brake dust. Just don't use it regularly.

I agree its OK to use as a one off. Its certainly the best stuff to shift burnt on brake dust. Just don't use it regularly.

Yes i agree.

OK, so what does the panel recommend for routine cleaning of wheels (say after a fortnight) when there's just enough brakedust stuck to them that doesn't want to shift?

I use AutoGlym Engine Cleaner to clean my wheels. Detergent rather than acid based so kinder to the lacquer.

OK, so what does the panel recommend for routine cleaning of wheels (say after a fortnight) when there's just enough brakedust stuck to them that doesn't want to shift?

Whatever you use to wash the car with. Just use a separate brush/sponge and do it last - or ideally with a separate bucket - so the dust and grime doesn't find itself being rubbed into your paintwork!!

The brushes commonly used for washing up are perfect for most and will reach the the other edge of the wheel on the inside.

And no I do not have a dish washer.

The brushes commonly used for washing up are perfect for most and will reach the the other edge of the wheel on the inside.

And no I do not have a dish washer.

...he or she stormed out when you asked her to clean the wheels too?

:D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom