Wont go into park (parking pawl)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vrathore

Car
C350e
Hi Folks,
When I park my C350e car and push the park button on the column shifter...I really have to push hard before it goes into park.
Alternatively, if I just open the door it goes into park automatically.
I think this is a new problem, as I never noticed it till recently...and I read somewhere this is an easy dealer fix with shifter calibration
For background...my car is a 2016 C350e, M274 with 25K and in December had the parking pawl replaced under warranty...not sure if this has anything to do with this problem.
Since I am no longer under warranty I am hoping someone here has experienced something similar...
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

MB parts have a 2 year warranty. If it’s the same part that is faulty MB should pick up the tab for the replacement.

If the pawl was replaced and the car goes into park when you open the door (which it should), and it actually does park the car i.e. holds it, I would be surprised if the pawl was duff.

I'd be thinking more the gear selector?

John, I agree with your comment...I read there is a calibration for the gear selector that I saw in a mercedes video for the 722.9 transmission, my assumption that may fix this issue...but i have no idea if that will resolve the problem...just a guess. Sounds like I need to get it back to the dealer as the calibration is also mercedes dealer tool.

Yes, if Mercedes didn't do something they were supposed to, they should be picking up the tab for that although they may well deny it.

Pretty sure Mercedes didn't install the spring links correctly on my car (tightened them in the air) and they failed within a year of bugger all use.

They had to cough for new ones.

Obviously I can't prove anything but then again, I don't need to either (although my car failed an "MOT" in this country - which is a test for roadworthiness so there was my evidence even though MB disagreed).

The column shifter is just a bunch of electrical contacts. I'm not aware of any physical connection between the shifter and the gearbox. The fact that the gearbox goes into park when you open the door shows that the parking pawl is fine. Presumably the other functions on the column shifter are working fine, as you haven't mentioned them, so that really pins it down to being a defective park button switch within the column shifter. It isn't really a maintainable part so replacement seems likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom