Won't rev past 2k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fingers21

Car
2003 c270
Hi all, new to the forum and just bought my first merc diesel. I've owned a few petrol CLK's in the past.

Ok, so, the story as it is so far... Last saturday, I took a trip to Buckinghamshire to purchase a 2003 c270. I had done quite a bit of research before making the trip (common faults etc). When I got there, the first thing I noticed was the SRS light was on, after reading that its a common fault for the passenger seat sensor thing to fail, I move on. Out on the test drive, the car initially drives lovely, after about 5 minutes, I give it some beans to look for smoke, the car throws up EPC fault and the car dies, a bit concerning, but there was only 7 mile range left in the tank, the car immediately restarts without issue and the fault has gone. Gave the car the beans again, without incident, so return to the garage. The guy plugs in his Snap On Solus Pro, but has no idea how to use it, as he was looking at c220 not c270 and using all the wrong keys. I haggle the price down and get the car at a price I'm happy with.

On the way home and after filling the tank, the car drives lovely down the motorway, it was only when I get closer to home, on local roads that I notice I am in what appears to be limp mode, as it won't rev above 2k, still gets up to speed, but not quickly and certainly not quick enough to overtake anything.

The next day or 2, the car drives great for a few miles, then always kicks into limp mode. I noticed the coolant temp wasn't getting warmer than 50, so start buying parts.

I replaced the thermostat, did a coolant flush, replaced the MAF, replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pipe that goes into the top of it, as the horseshoe clip was broken.

I have also drained the gearbox, replaced the filter and gasket and filled back to the correct level, the ATF that came out was like black water, literally!

Anyway, initially, after replacing the thermostat and MAF, the car was awesome! great power and no limp mode. for a day!

Now the problem seems to be if I hit 3k revs, it goes into limp mode, but not all the time. If i don't hit 3k, the car is spot on no matter how long the journey. I get no EPC warning or anything come up, no unusual noises or judders when it does go into limp mode.

The injectors all look brand new, so for the moment, i have ruled them out, but I am considering pulling the inlet manifold and removing the flaps and fitting a new motor (rather than a delete module thing).

My question is, am I on the right track or am i looking in the wrong place? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
I should add, the car has done 130k and has a ridiculous dealer service history. The last owner (only previous before me) even took it to mercedes for new tyres!

I would get it checked out with a star machine from someone who knows what they are doing. If you post your location I am sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

fingers21 said:
I should add, the car has done 130k and has a ridiculous dealer service history. The last owner (only previous before me) even took it to mercedes for new tyres!

Id get it plugged into star before you buy anymore parts otherwise it will become an endless Mercedes-Money Pit

You should have used your consumer rights, before the self-diagnosis and spending.
Take it back to the car dealer to fix.

I experience something similar, although with 200CDI. Limp-mode and max 3000rpm. Was periodic, one day it was ok, next day limp mode. No fault indication on the dash.
Fault could be read with a cheap OBD2 reader, P0404 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Range/Performance.

After cleaning the EGR control mechanism for carbon deposits the fault was gone.

I am in Cambridgeshire, so anyone local with STAR would be a bonus and big help. I have however possibly found my fault. The inlet port shut off motor is seized up. The manifold is going to have to come off, which ordinarily, wouldn't be an issue for me, I have the skills and the tools, but, I had my right thumb ripped off 6 months ago and being right handed, I struggle a bit. I think this may be to fiddly for me. I hate that I know I can do the job, but can't physically manage.

ok, I had the codes read and it was definitely a faulty shutoff motor. So, I bit the bullet and got on with the job. It wasn't nearly as bad as i expected and took about 4 hours total (not including cleaning out the manifold).

Flaps removed and holes plugged with nuts and bolts, new shutoff motor installed and its good to go. The only problem I ran into was the small right angle coolant pipe on the low pressure pump was brittle and crumbled as I removed it, so new one ordered from MB (part # A203 03 08) and fitted this afternoon. Bled the coolant system up and took her for a spin. Wow, what a difference! It drives like a different car, no limp mode is nice, but its more powerful all round.

So, my question is, I cleaned out the EGR and manifold of all the nasty gunk, but now that the flaps are removed, is it wise to blank the EGR and do the delete mod?

It will help prevent any future build up, although it could effect the warm up cycle slightly. I would have the EGR written out in the software and not just blank it off personelly

I'll get it back on STAR and get it written out, don't fancy taking the manifold off again anytime soon.

You should have used your consumer rights, before the self-diagnosis and spending.
Take it back to the car dealer to fix.

Nice idea. But the OP bought the car in full knowledge of the faults and negotiated a price he was happy with

On that basis he has no claim over the vendor

Nick Froome

Nice idea. But the OP bought the car in full knowledge of the faults and negotiated a price he was happy with

On that basis he has no claim over the vendor

Nick Froome

Agreed. The price I paid was a price I was happy with, WITH the faults included. The car is now running lovely, the only downside I'm finding now is, my MPG has dropped a bit and my rear tyres may suffer now that I am not limited to 2k revs. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom